Refurbishing 1971 Cal 27 - need rub rail

Oct 23, 2012
Cal 27 Pop Top Beaver Lake, Arkansas
We are in the middle of refurbishing our 1971 Cal 27 pop top and are in need of a new rub rail. I've found the correct one at DR Marine but looking for a good condition used on that would be less expensive. Please let me know if you have anything or know of anything available.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jon

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
We are in the middle of refurbishing our 1971 Cal 27 pop top and are in need of a new rub rail. I've found the correct one at DR Marine but looking for a good condition used on that would be less expensive. Please let me know if you have anything or know of anything available.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jon
I NEED to replace mine also, and DR is reputed to be the best source.

is the rail on your boat white or black.... the DR white color is supposed to be chalk proof, but the white of whatever brand was put on my boat originally has chalked itself almost into oblivion... its thin in spots and seems about ready to fall off if it should get disturbed...

almost anything synthetic that is colored black seems to outlast identical objects made of lighter colored material, and its easier to keep it looking clean, so i would opt for black.

but then if i installed white, like is on there now, it would likely last another 40 years, and im sure i will have other things to worry about by then...

Oct 23, 2012
Well as it turns out the previous owner had put on a rail that didn't fit this boat. Lots of silicone and was a mess. I'd prefer white but the black it a bit cheaper. I've managed to find the manufacturer of it. www.wefcorubber.com. I got quoted $5.50/foot for white and $4.00/foot for black. This is for model 0001 3/4 G-2 that fits early 70's Cals.

Perhaps we could get a discounted group buy if we get enough. Their next white run for this model will be January and there is a currently a two week turnaround for black. Ships via UPS.

Oct 23, 2012
It's been nearly a year but wanted to post an update. Ended up ordering from DR Marine. We're completely refitting our boat and are nearing the end. Hope to have on water in next month or two.

Remaining major projects:
Install lexan windows
Completely Rewire including ad/dc breakers
Nonskid
Reinstall all fittings on deck
Seahawk tuff stuff
Seahawk sharkskin
Trailer back to lake!!!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Way to go Jon. Hopefully you will be back on the lake in time for some fall sailing. Great color in the leaves and a brisk wind to carry you forward.

Keep me posted on the rewiring. I'm considering this adventure on my 1974 Cal35.
John

Oct 23, 2012
We ran all the new wiring for everything except the pedestal. Was actually a pretty easy process and only took an hour or so. Luckily the PO had several holes already drilled and we used the original wiring to pull the new stuff through where the space was tight. We may go ahead and put an extra line up the mast for future use as well.

I can't believe some of the crap wiring that was in there before. We're installing 13 new breakers (both ac and dc) with expansion capabilities and have designed our own panel using an extra piece of lexan we have from upgrading the ports. All in on a new panel and wire we might be at $200 or so including LED indicator lights. Also we'll be installing a charger for when we're on shore power (cost stated doesn't include charger).

We hope to have he bulk of the panel installed this weekend. I'll post pics once finished.

Sep 14, 2015
Cal 2-27 Lake Conroe
In my attempts to locate original rigging sheet for my new /old Cal 2-27, I came across Steve Seal's site, link: http://www.sealsspars.com/index.html

Steve sells ALL of the rub rails, extrusions, end caps, etc.. for Cal boats. They're a little pricey, but hey, it's a boat...