Refrigerator

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
There is not a plug on the 310. The drain is connected to the pump under the galley sink that is also the shower sump.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
On battery power, voltage drop the refrigerator switched on is 0.2 - 0.3 VDC.
Per the post above, I cannot see where the coolant line enters the evaporator as that is between the evaporator and the wall of the refrigerator.
My compressor has what appears to be a coolant fill line. It has a dust cap and a hexagonal fixture, which I presume is a valve. Does anyone know which way to turn it to open the valve?

It appears the best way forward is to add a bit of coolant and see if things start to work.
Yup. I would go to coolant replacement as the next step. good luck.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Where did you measure the voltage drop at?

It's refrigerant, not coolant.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I'd be happy to take inputs on this plan.
Ok, I'm running under the assumption I have a very slow leak at the connection between the feed line and evaporator. Disassembly is required to look at it, which to me means if it isn't leaking there now, it certainly will be if I dismount the evaporator. So, the way forward is to add coolant and see what happens. I would like a certified professional to do this. I've found exactly two within reasonable driving distance. Both indicated the job is too small to bother with. That leaves it up to me. I figure the most that can happen is I blow up the compressor and refrigerator, vent refrigerant into the atmosphere, destroying the ozone layer that will kill all life on the surface of the planet. The EPA could fine me as well. I will need the following:

- A R12 to R134a adaptor. The attached picture shows the low pressure side fill fitting with the dust cap removed. This appears to be a R12 fitting. I don't know for sure. All the R134a hoses I've seen have quick disconnect fitting

- Hose with connectors and gauge. Long hoses will be needed as it is a 1.5 ft reach through a hatch to reach the fill fitting. It takes some contortion of my old body to reach it. I'd also like a valve for the fill side and a valve for the refrigerant side. This will make it easier (see procedure, below).

- R134a Refrigerant. It should take much, my guess is less than 3 ounces.

Procedure:
1. Turn off the refrigerator
2. Attached the low pressure side hose to the fill line on the compressor. Attach the fill hose to the R134a can, but don't pierce it yet.
3. Turn on the refrigerator and set the cooling know (0 to 7) to the 4 to 5 position.
2. Allow the compressor and fan to run. Open the valve in the low pressure hose line and monitor the gauge. It will likely read 0 psi or slightly lower due to the compressor vacuum. It might also read 1 or 2 psi, which is low.
3. Pierce the gas can. Open the gas valve for one to no more than 2 seconds. Close the gas valve.
4. Wait about 5 minutes or so, and monitor the evaporator. Frost should develop. If only one side has frost, give it another 1 to 2 sec of gas.
5. Keep going, waiting 5 minutes between gas events and monitor the evaporator. Add gas until 2/3 to 3/4 of the evaporator develops frost. Let the refrigerator compressor cycle off and back on. The key is to not add too much gas. The low pressure side should read 4 to 6 psi.
6. At this point, the entire evaporator should be developing frost. Turn the refrigerator off, remove all lines, install the dust cap on the compressor fill line. Add beer to the refrigerator and turn it back on. Go sailing, return to the dock and enjoy a cold beer.

Add gas as time progresses, as required. When it must be done too often, junk the system and figure out how to install a new one.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Your plan to add refrigerant looks sold, except you need to pierce the can and purge the line just before you screw the line down. If you don't you introduce air & water vapor to the system.
I've given up asking about the voltage at the compressor. You very well may need refrigerant.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): Huge success - Huge!!! I want to thank everyone who wrote into this thread. I much appreciate each and every comment, suggestion, instruction. BTW, purging the line was a great idea. I'd have never thought of it.

The truth is I can sail the boat well. Maintenance is a struggle. This forum is a God - send.

Yesterday morning I spent 2.5 hours slowly, every 5 or 10 minutes, adding refrigerant. I went real slow, because I wanted to be sure I didn't over-pressurize the system. I bought a 12 oz bottle of R134a refrigerant, not having a clue how much I would need. In all, I think I added maybe 1 - 1.5 oz of refrigerant (I should have weighed the bottle before I started but neglected to do so). The negative pressure when I hooked up, and turned on the compressor, was -18 psi, way too low. It took 1.5 hours of short squirts every 5 to 10 minutes to get the pressure in the return line (low pressure side) to zero psi. I kept adding until three of the four surfaces of the evaporator were developing frost. I paid close attention to the gauge. When I finished, the low pressure side was about 3 psi with the compressor was running. The book value says it should be 4 to 6 psi, but it is working, and I'm going to leave it alone. In between I changed the transmission fluid, oil, and filters, and did the routine monthly maintenance. When I finished the other work, all surfaces of the evaporator were developing frost.
Today I have six 12 oz bottles of water frozen solid in the evaporator and cold water in the refrigerator. The beer goes back in tomorrow.
I'm sure I have a refrigerant leak. It remains to be seen how many times each year I need to recharge.

I thank you one and all.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The lost refrigerant went somewhere. Anticipate the issue to return at some point. Its like adding oil to a old car.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Nice work with great results. Hopefully your leak remains very slow. When the fully frosted evaporator start to show wet spots; you'll know. I recall the spec is less than 2oz, so your estimates are in the ballpark.

Enjoy sailing in the meantime. We prepped the boat this weekend and it comes out next week for the winter.