Refrigerator Siphoning water

M7e

Feb 20, 2018
Catalina 30 mkiii 6504 Bitter End, Bayview Id
My 97 Catalina 30 MK lll just started siphoning water into refrigerator box. I can’t find a check valve in the drain system to sink. My guess is that the foot pump is supposed to do this but mine isn’t working anymore. The pump works!

Thanks Mark

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There is usually no check valves in refrigerator drains as they work by gravity and they usually drain directly into the boat's bilge. There is no telling what a previous owner may have rigged. If the drain line from the refrigerator has been connected to the sink discharge tube then I could see why the use of foot pump as discharge by gravity would likely not work. If you are getting water flowing back to the refrigerator could be that the foot pump is not working or the discharge line is clogged and the water that is drained from the refrigerator is trapped and flowing back when the boat is in motion or heeling under sail.

M7e

Feb 20, 2018
Catalina 30 mkiii 6504 Bitter End, Bayview Id
Thanks Benny
My model according to manual drains to sink. After I posted this question I went to Catalina Direct and they make a repair kit and say the rubber wears out and to replace every 3 to 4 years. To my knowledge mine hasn’t been touched. I also learned that it pumps out on both storks. This maybe why my pump works but doesn’t check because one stork is leaking by.

Cheers, Mark

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If it becomes difficult to find a replacement or parts for the foot pump you can always divert the drain to the bilge and close the drain to the sink. Are you talking about a refrigerator or an ice cooler box.