Refrigeration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2007
Bavaria 39 Cruiser Road Town, Tortola, BVI
Hello All, We have a Bavaria 39 Cruiser built in 2006. Our refrigeration seemed to be working perfectly until recently. It appears our evaporator is not working properly and we keep getting ice & frost buildup at the bottom of the unit. We have a VD-15 circulating air evaporator for Series 80. Has anyone had a similar problem or is able to make a suggestion? Thanks to all! Jim Nelson

W

Waterwolf

Door/lit is bent

The doors or lids seem to bent a little, so they don’t close very well and ice is building up.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Insulated Blanket

Jim, I don't have the same problem that you do, but I have improved the performance of my fridge by placing an insulated "blanket" (actually just two pieces of styrofoam wrapped in "bubble wrap") on top of the food in the fridge box. This seems to have a positive affect on the amount of time the unit has to run to maintain temperature. If Waterwolf is correct about the lid, then replacing the lid and adding this "blanket idea" may help. Good luck, Tom

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Insulated Blanket - seconded

I have the same experience and recommendation as Firehoser. We use an insulating blanket over the fridge lid and that improves its performance and reduces the condensation. This year, I'll add some gasketing around the lid, and maybe a little foam insulation on its underside. This is a very common problem with these boats, so any permanent solution you find - please sen it along.

Jun 11, 2004
- - Ft. Lauderdale FL.
Fan evaporators for coolers not Refrigerators

The VD 15 Fan evaporator is functionally for cooler boxes where evaporator temperatures stay above 33 degrees F. Refrigerator and Freezer fan cooled fin evaporators require off cycle defrosting. The VD15 is not self defrosting and there is no way in tropical climates to prevent moist air or moist food from interring a refrigerated box.

Status
Not open for further replies.