Refrigeration question

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
Good morning all,
I have a 1980 Catalina 30 and need to put some type of refrigeration in it. I am new to cruising and was hoping to recieve some suggestions on “type” and “location” for the new fridge to sit. I have seen one where a walmart college style fridge sat where the dinette used to be (yes I would lose livable space.) I have also seen an isotherm sitting in front of the v berth.

I see there is a significant price difference between the walmart college style and Isotherm. If I purchase an Engel 12v freezer should I then go with an Isotherm since it comes in 12v. I’ll be on shore power during the school calendar year and then sailing when I am not in school.

Thank you for any advice you provide.

John

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
The dorm type fridge maybe a power hog when using an inverter and operating in hot enclosed cabin. I would go with the engel if you didn't want to install refrigeration. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
I really appreciate your time in responding. I will definitely look at the Engel. Space is a premium on my Cat 30 so I am trying to use the limited space wisely. Thanks again for your thoughts.

John

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
Chris,
Thanks for the tip. It has an ice box in the corner of the galley that I thought was going to be useless space. Is this conversion kit you mentioned something anyone can install or do I need to have electrical experience?

John

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I installed the replacement. The coolant lines are pre-charged. Our compressor is in the starboard lazerette, so you would thread the lines to where you place yours. You CAN NOT cut them and do not kink them. The compressor has 12 v lines that need connected and a 110 plug if you have an outlet near it. Check the manuals on the link I supplied.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The vast majority of folks will use an icebox conversion kit. The C-30 has a great spot for the compressor and condensor in the starboard laz. Easy install if you can turn a wrench.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
You do need to be able to connect it up to proper 110v and 12v power. You'll need proper fusing/breakers and the correct size and type of wire. You'll need the correct butt connectors and tools. If you didn't already know all of that, get some help on the wiring.

On and both OS2dude and me got our boat sides messed up - the icebox and the spot for the compressor unit is on the port side on a C-30.

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
Thanks a million everyone for your responses. I believe I am going to attempt to install it. Thanks again for the recommendations.

John