refrigeration help

Jun 29, 2004
-Hunter 320 Grapevine Lake
Over the winter my refrigeration unit stopped working. It is an adler/barbour cold machine that was installed by the last owner. It has been working great. The compressor cooling fan still comes on but the compressor does not. The unit has diagnostic lights to tell you what may be wrong but none of them are lighting. This was installed in the icebox on a 2001 Hunter 320 about 6 years ago. I looked on the mfgr website but found no help. I am in north texas if anyone knows someone who works on these things. Thanks.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
I had a similar problem.

The yard technician determined that the thermostat inside the fridge had gone bad. He tested that first, and then admitted that often that is the problem. Certainly was a lot fewer boat bucks than replacing the compressor!

Jun 29, 2004
I checked out the kollmann site -thanks. I read how to bypass the thermostat so I guess I will check that first.

Jun 11, 2004
- - Ft. Lauderdale FL.
If fan runs it is unlikely the problem is with the thermostat. How did you confirm compressor was not running? Does compressor get warm after left running fo 20 minutes? Or you think it is not running because evaporator does not get cold?

LED will or will not show

There are things you should know about refrigeration that most repair people don’t know about your Adler Barbour , Frigoboat or other type refrigeration units. This applies to Danfoss BD compressors installed after 1995.

Troubleshooting the newer Danfoss variable speed BD compressors when equipped with troubleshooting LED is easy if the following information is understood:
· LED will not signal if there is no power to Danfoss Control module.
· LED will not signal if thermostat circuit is open.
· LED will not signal if compressor is running continuously with poor or no cooling.
· LED will not signal if system is low on refrigerant, compressor will run with little or no refrigerant and still no LED signal.
· LED will flash 3 times every 4 seconds if there is too much refrigerant in system or poor condenser cooling.
· On Adler Barbour CU100 and CU200 LED will not flash when compressor stops do to a problem inside the add on stainless box. This seems to be caused by poor solder connections to fuse holder.
· If no one has tampered with refrigerant and refrigerant flow is blocked, compressor will not stop nor will LED flash on this type system. Common problem on Frigoboat keel cooler systems. Adding refrigerant will only cause additional problems.
· If there is too much refrigerant or contaminated refrigerant compressor will not start or run signaling with Three LED flashes.
· Unlike automobile computers Danfoss electronic modules micro chip only has space for one memory. Because only one memory is all that can be stored it is possible for a second problem to mask over signal covering up the first LED signal. Say the first signal is do to a low voltage giving a one LED flash every 4 seconds compressor will stop and try to restart in 20 to 40 seconds. If refrigerant pressure has not equalized in this short off cycle a restart attempt can cause a three LED flash signal indicating an overload. When a three LED flash is indicated always confirm it by turning refrigerator power off and while watching LED turn power back on. The first seen signal code is where the problem is.

If you still need help before calling a service technician Email me your questions.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Kollman

The kollman site is very helpful but when my ref stopped working
I went to tech support who made my ref and they helped test the system
to see what the problem was.
Nick

Jun 29, 2004
If fan runs it is unlikely the problem is with the thermostat. How did you confirm compressor was not running? Does compressor get warm after left running fo 20 minutes? Or you think it is not running because evaporator does not get cold?

Richard,

I assumed the compressor was not running when I found the frig hot so I went to the compressor and put my hand on it and there is nothing happening. Evaporator warm and compressor still but cooling fan for compressor running. I shut off power to the unit to make sure it hadn't overheated and after letting things sit I turned it back on and nothing changed. I had read your websilte before posting. All help appreciated.

Jun 29, 2004
The kollman site is very helpful but when my ref stopped working
I went to tech support who made my ref and they helped test the system
to see what the problem was.
Nick
I checked out the adler barbour website but found no help. I haven't called anyone but don't recall seeing a number for help.

Jun 11, 2004
- - Ft. Lauderdale FL.
So compressor does not run but fan does. This condition is normally this condition is followed by a Troubleshooting LED code if your Adler Barbour BD50 compressor is working properly.
I an assuming you have a BD50 and there is a Stainless Steel box in front of Danfoss Control Module. On the face of this box is a 15 and 5 amp fuse. Remove 15 amp fuse and see if contacts inside look burnt. Then see picture of electrical board on my web site Under TECH TIP #1 at: http://www.kollmann-marine.com. Now on your unit look inside box at back of board but instead of where the ground strap burnt in picture look at where the 15 amp fuse is connected on your unit, if this area looks good proceed to steps #4 and #5,

4. Disconnect black fan wire from electronic module Terminal F, IF Compressor runs, replace fan. Compressor still does not run after fan ground wire is disconnected, go to next step.

5. Run correct size and correct polarity jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery to Danfoss module bypassing Wiring inside Stainless box .in order to bypass all of boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value when looking for voltage spikes. Compressor still does not run electronic module needs to be removed and tested on another unit. If there are no other units available to test your module on I will test all 12 volt Danfoss control modules free, You pay only shipping.

Jun 29, 2004
Thanks for the help Richard-I will get out to the boat and try this on Saturday.

Jun 29, 2004
Richard,

I sent you an email concerning my attempts at diagnosing the trouble.

thanks

Jun 29, 2004
So compressor does not run but fan does. This condition is normally this condition is followed by a Troubleshooting LED code if your Adler Barbour BD50 compressor is working properly.
I an assuming you have a BD50 and there is a Stainless Steel box in front of Danfoss Control Module. On the face of this box is a 15 and 5 amp fuse. Remove 15 amp fuse and see if contacts inside look burnt. Then see picture of electrical board on my web site Under TECH TIP #1 at: http://www.kollmann-marine.com. Now on your unit look inside box at back of board but instead of where the ground strap burnt in picture look at where the 15 amp fuse is connected on your unit, if this area looks good proceed to steps #4 and #5,

4. Disconnect black fan wire from electronic module Terminal F, IF Compressor runs, replace fan. Compressor still does not run after fan ground wire is disconnected, go to next step.

5. Run correct size and correct polarity jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery to Danfoss module bypassing Wiring inside Stainless box .in order to bypass all of boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value when looking for voltage spikes. Compressor still does not run electronic module needs to be removed and tested on another unit. If there are no other units available to test your module on I will test all 12 volt Danfoss control modules free, You pay only shipping.

Richard,

I've run al the tests you suggested and the compressor is not starting. There is a very slight vibration of the compressor during the tests but no cooling. Any other thoughts?

thanks

HMCS23

Oct 30, 2014
FUJI 40 Coronado
Thermomstat Help

I have the exact same problem. where did you purchase your thermostat from. I need one like yesterday..

Thanks

The yard technician determined that the thermostat inside the fridge had gone bad. He tested that first, and then admitted that often that is the problem. Certainly was a lot fewer boat bucks than replacing the compressor!