Refridge/Freezer theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Doug/Karen
I think you're onto something. Now that I think about it, I should have drilled the hole right on centerline at the lowest point. My only concern is that the silt at the bottom of the bilge will plug up the hole, preventing adequate drainage. I'm going to increase the size and see if that helps.
So ....................... you're saying "if a little hole is good, a bigger hole is better".

I like your thinking :D. I also find your theory to be a little more sound than some presented here on running your reefer continuously for increased life.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
So ....................... you're saying "if a little hole is good, a bigger hole is better".

I like your thinking :D. I also find your theory to be a little more sound than some presented here on running your reefer continuously for increased life.

I'm really confused now ...
If you drill a hole in the bottom of your boat to let the water out, will the leaking freon go out of the hole (with the water) and destroy marine life or will it diffuse upward and destroy the ozone layer????

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If you drill a hole in the bottom of your boat to let the water out, will the leaking freon go out of the hole (with the water) and destroying marine life or will it diffuse upward and destroy the ozone layer????

If you keep your fridge running 24/7/365 any hole drilled into the boat will immediately freeze over and you will remain protected from sinking... If you leave it off, down she goes.......:D:D:D

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The Jury's Still Out ................................

If you drill a hole in the bottom of your boat to let the water out, will the leaking freon go out of the hole (with the water) and destroy marine life or will it diffuse upward and destroy the ozone layer????
...................... on that one. We're hoping it'll stay suspended in the middle and not bother either the marine life or the ozone layer.

And don't laugh :cussing:. Makes more sense than running your reefer 24/7/365.

Jun 11, 2004
- - Ft. Lauderdale FL.
As I read through this thread there are many theories about boat refrigeration, are they factual or just old Third Cabin Mate’s tales? Theories typically cannot be proven, but they can become established if they are based on proven facts.

Posted Theory This weekend, we heard a theory regarding fridge/freezer management that we had never heard before. Simply stated, never turn off your fridge/freezer units, ever. We were told that turning these units off over the winter and/or during long gaps between usages reduces their lifetime”.

On a well designed and system manufactured under good quality control any hermetically sealed refrigeration system should be capable of extended or seasonal shutdowns extending service life not shortening it. The key to extended refrigerator service life is keeping refrigerant pure and disposing of process heat correctly.
  • Cabinet refrigerators like home refrigerators and mechanical RV refrigerators should not have their life shortened by extended off periods if refrigerant circuit has not been tampered with. Quality control of refrigerant in a system is important in keeping refrigerant pure, free of air, moisture and other products that cause acid oxidizing electro plating sludge. Most snow birds spending six months in south Florida turn their refrigerator off when they go back North for the summer.
  • Ice Box Conversion Refrigerators with hermetically sealed compressors sold with refrigerant lines to be connected at installation can shorten reliable long term reliability. There are nine different ways or methods used to connect lines. If line connector employs final refrigerant retention seal of metal to metal rather than rubber O rings system should retain its pure refrigerant whether compressor runs or is off for years. Types of refrigerant line connectors used in boat refrigeration:
1. Aero Quip old large quick disconnects leak proof metal to metal seal.
2. Aero Quip newer small disconnects leak proof metal to metal seal.
3. Source Aero Quip small different quick disc connect using 5 O rings in each connector.
4. Frigoboat uses a different quick connector with O rings
5. Spring loaded quick O ring connector. no tools required to connect . The only company I believed used this one was E Z Kold.
The above connectors were designed to prevent loss of refrigerant when disconnected although most did leak in time when removed.
6. Pre-Charged Self-Piercing Refrigerant line connector. This unit complies with clean air act regulation as a metal disc retains refrigerant until metal disc is fractured. Once tight metal to metal seal is permanent. If line is disconnected again refrigerant will be vented to the air, if not recovered first.
7. Compression type line connectors used by Seafrost are similar to Air-Metal lightweight fittings used in hydraulics. If this type fitting is not torque properly they leak if over tightened they must be replaced.
8. Only metal to metal line connections are going to insure a leak proof extended life refrigeration system. There are special leak proof cast brass refrigeration flare nuts used with flare unions that I prefer when making line connections.
9. Skilled technicians under the right shop controlled conditions using a dry inert gas like Nitrogen can connect tubing with brazing/solder without contaminating, but done incorrectly reliability of system is compromised.

Open shaft compressors driven by an external motor are not hermetically sealed and can easily have refrigerant contaminated by a leaking shaft seal. Many of the open shaft refrigeration compressors found in boats were designed originally for automobile AC or small supermarket refrigeration. Most external shaft driven compressors have a dynamic carbon seal that requires constant lubrication on its surface to prevent refrigerant leakage. To prevent this seal from loosing its oil sealing film will depend on compressor running again at some point. Newer automobile AC compressors in off seasons automatically run a few seconds when engine is started to lubricate compressor seal.

In summary the risk to battery damage and other electrical problem that may occur by letting refrigerator run when not needed is far greater than concern over shortening life of refrigeration system. I am sure there are boats that spend months every year on the hard with refrigerator turned off and after 30 years their 12 volt unit is still working fine.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Skilled technicians under the right shop controlled conditions using a dry inert gas like Nitrogen can connect tubing with brazing/solder without contaminating, but done incorrectly reliability of system is compromised.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
So the guys who come out to your house to put a new compressor in your fridge are going to have compromised solder joints simply because of the environment (no inert gas)?

I didnt want to argue some of the other comments, but I know for a fact there are antique (compressor type) refrigerators that are still running, as well as antique Dometic absorption types. The quality in materials just simply isnt there. And in the case of the manufactures, who wants to build stuff that lasts forever when your into selling new. There is no "Mercedes" of refrigerators anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.