Refresh for Wind Song Transom

May 4, 2015
Refinished the transom on Wind Song, new artwork and hail. Bilge and exhaust relocated from transom(the only Caravelle I have seen with it in this location) exhaust will go under counter yet to be installed.
IMG_0461.JPG

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Very nice! Looks great.

I was going to re-locate my exhausts exit to the counter when I installed a new exhaust system, but I chickened out. I had heard of a few back flooding incidents and decided to stick with the original. You have other Caravelles to model the counter installation. It looks better in the counter, for sure.

But I did locate a new fitting that extends far enough beyond the hull to eliminate the exhaust stains.

May 4, 2015
Thanks Tom for the comments! Do you have picture of the fitting and details on where you found it, I have been looking for one, and the yard found a quality groco one, but I worried not enough of a lip on it to keep some exhaust staining the hull. I have pictures from Bounding home and Serena, so have provided explicit guidance to the yard on location!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Tom for the comments! Do you have picture of the fitting and details on where you found it, I have been looking for one, and the yard found a quality groco one, but I worried not enough of a lip on it to keep some exhaust staining the hull. I have pictures from Bounding home and Serena, so have provided explicit guidance to the yard on location!
I do. Here's the original fitting during a topsides paint in 2002. A constant soot stain trail always below. Next to it is the secondary raw water outlet.
TT applies stars 2002 (1 of 1).jpg

I installed the new exhaust in 2017. Our son again applying the stars to transom. The new fitting is %100 clean. I made sure I found an outlet with sufficient length to get the raw water away from the transom.
TT applies stars 2017 (1 of 1)-2.jpg

I found the outlet here, and their online service was great.
https://www.asap-supplies.com/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
%100 clean. I made sure I found an outlet with sufficient length to get the raw water away from the transom.
Interesting comment. Have you found information that supports this extended length keeps the transom clean? What length is needed? Thanks for the help.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Interesting comment. Have you found information that supports this extended length keeps the transom clean? What length is needed? Thanks for the help.
I just made a guess after years of living with a soot stain running down the transom and beneath the counter. Diesel exhaust soot is hard to remove, I've found.
Light tow Rockport Harbor.jpg

The new outlet is a larger diameter to fit the larger exhaust hose. With the new outlet about 1" proud of the transom, water doesn't attach to the hull any longer. The same area after several hundred miles this season, under power.
Xmas Eve docks.jpg

Likely, just relocating into the counter will eliminate the problem but Xmas under sail, often submerges the entire counter, even the transom outlet, intermittently.

May 4, 2015
Tom, Thanks!
A question about Christmas, so your cabin top is grey and decks Bristol Beige, is that correct from what I can see in the picture, was there a reason for going two tone? What maker of paint do you use for Bristol Beige, I like the darker color, some paint mfg's are too creamy for me. How did you prepare your decks, mine have not been painted in a very very long time, at the moment they are chalky, so you leave white foot prints on the cushions. I did have Wind Song's cabin toped painted grey this winter, as that is the current color, but plan in future is to go all Bristol Beige (deck plus cabin top). However may rethink that based on your comments regarding two tone approach. Thanks

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi TaborKP, the color is close to Bristol Beige, but I mixed a custom color at my local supplier.

The paint on the decks and house top are residential Acrylic Latex floor and deck paint. I've used a Rustoleum product and lately use a Valspar Acrylic latex base and have it tinted the way I like it.

I've been painting for years and have moved to Acrylic latex over oils because I find it holds up better than one part oil enamels where foot traffic is high. The only drawback is that it doesn't cover quite as well so will usually require one more coat.

Marine coatings are beginning to move to acrylic enamels but they are way behind.

All I did to the decks is apply a light duty paint remover and clean with a floor brush - no aggressive- sanding to retain as much of the non-skid pattern as possible.

The decks are the original non skid pattern and and worn a bit but still usable. For a 'yacht finish', you'd probably need to sand the non skid off as well as the surrounding margins. I'm happy with this less laborious treatment.

The house top, fiberglass cloth over plywood, is (I think) a custom gray called Fog. I really like it. It has some blue in it.

The decks are a shade of wheat or buff. You actually have 4 or 5 choices all close so you can lean for more or less color saturation.

I take the paint chips to the boat and lay them out and pick one. About $15 a quart. I do both with a 4-6" roller and tip with a brush. Neither is a particularly hard long job so I'd say it gets done on a 5 yr basis (my handrails and dorade boxes are easily removed for painting).

As far as the two tones, I'm inspired by all the wooden boats in my harbor. They are painted with one part enamels fairly regularly(not all that expensive as the prep work is ongoing). Many have different deck/house combinations so I just did what I thought would look good. Worked! (you may notice I use the buff color to do the dinghy interior).

3 sails 2.jpg

May 4, 2015
Tom, Are you using the Valspar Duramax line as the specific paint? I think I will take on this project with a friends this summer. Thanks Lloyd

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I used the Valspar in (I think Duramax) acrylic enamel for the house top. I believe I used an acrylic Porch and floor base for the decks(more durable). I will check.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I do. Here's the original fitting during a topsides paint in 2002. A constant soot stain trail always below. Next to it is the secondary raw water outlet.
View attachment 158583
I installed the new exhaust in 2017. Our son again applying the stars to transom. The new fitting is %100 clean. I made sure I found an outlet with sufficient length to get the raw water away from the transom.
View attachment 158584
I found the outlet here, and their online service was great.
https://www.asap-supplies.com/
Those two pictures are awesome! Time flies!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tom, what kind of dinghy is yours? are there kits? or... can you recommend another?

May 4, 2015
I used the Valspar in (I think Duramax) acrylic enamel for the house top. I believe I used an acrylic Porch and floor base for the decks(more durable). I will check.
ok thanks Tom! Will tackle the decks on the mooring with a good friends over 3 days. Will likely give a light sanding to the non textured areas for sake of good order. I do not think there is really any point to pull off with paint remover, unless you think that is critical step, it is very weathered, nothing really there to come up to be honest.

Lloyd