Refinishing Catalina Capri 14.2 boat, question on pigment colors

Sep 29, 2021
Catalina Capri 14.2 Tempe Town Lake, Tempe, AZ
My Catalina Capri 14.2 has a deep blue water line strip and stripe just below the top. I am in the process of refinishing the bottom gel coat.

What color is the deep blue lines on Catalina small sailboats and where can I get the pigment dyes for the blue striping on my sailboat?
Bill

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Depending on the manufacturer of the tape names may vary, for the dark blue most common name I've heard is Sapphire. Upper stripe is usually called a "cove" stripe while the lower is "boot" stripe. Now for the good news, I have most of a roll of said tape, but it's in another place and will be a week before I could send it. If that works it's free, I'll advise on postage after I send. I have the 1" tape used for the cove, the boot is often colored gel coat, there are replacement tapes available for boot but, if you can buff the gel coat back it's preferable. New tape for cove is not too tough but boot stripes can be tricky.
Does your boat use that gray vinyl rub rail insert ? If so I've a remnant that may be long enough for your boat.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Sep 29, 2021
Depending on the manufacturer of the tape names may vary, for the dark blue most common name I've heard is Sapphire. Upper stripe is usually called a "cove" stripe while the lower is "boot" stripe. Now for the good news, I have most of a roll of said tape, but it's in another place and will be a week before I could send it. If that works it's free, I'll advise on postage after I send. I have the 1" tape used for the cove, the boot is often colored gel coat, there are replacement tapes available for boot but, if you can buff the gel coat back it's preferable. New tape for cove is not too tough but boot stripes can be tricky.
Does your boat use that gray vinyl rub rail insert ? If so I've a remnant that may be long enough for your boat.

Calif Ted,
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. The "cove" strip on my boat is in good shape. It's 2.5 inches wide. I was going to leave it as is.

The "boot" strip is 1.5 inches wide. You are right. Previously, this had gel coat. I was planning on painting with white on rest of hull and blue dyed gel coat. Although a taped water line might work, I would prefer painting this line since it's in the water. I will check to see if Sapphire is the color that best matches.
Bill

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I used Interlux "boottop and striping enamel" for my boot stripe. It's a one part polyurethane, like Brightside. Used a stock color .. "Flag Blue" .. seemed to match perfectly. However, if you use Brightside topside paint there many more color options, but they only come in quarts or gallons.... That's a lot of paint for a boot stripe.

Hopefully, you can use the existing stripe...it's tricky to lay out a new one.

Sep 29, 2021
I used Interlux "boottop and striping enamel" for my boot stripe. It's a one part polyurethane, like Brightside. Used a stock color .. "Flag Blue" .. seemed to match perfectly. However, if you use Brightside topside paint there many more color options, but they only come in quarts or gallons.... That's a lot of paint for a boot stripe.

Hopefully, you can use the existing stripe...it's tricky to lay out a new one.

Joe,
Thanks for the suggestions. You're right. A quart is a lot of stripe paint. Getting the curve exactly the same will be tricky.
bill