Refinishing cabin sole

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Rather than hijack ktm500mx's thread, I'll start another.

Question is a little different. H 29.5.

Pulled up cabin sole (plywood w/teak and holly veneer) to re-glue and refinish. It looks to me as if teak oil is the only finish this sole has ever had. No evidence of ever having varnish or poly applied.

I would like to apply varnish to the sole and the cabinetry, but am afraid it will not adhere to the oiled surface.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
If it is all in decent condition I would just sand it lightly and wipe it down with acetone, maybe repeat a couple of times; the acetone (careful with the fumes) will dry out any oily remnants. Do a couple coats of thinned gloss polyurethane and then finish with a coat of satin so it won't be quite as slick. Be sure to get around the edges also.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
If it is all in decent condition I would just sand it lightly and wipe it down with acetone, maybe repeat a couple of times; the acetone (careful with the fumes) will dry out any oily remnants. Do a couple coats of thinned gloss polyurethane and then finish with a coat of satin so it won't be quite as slick. Be sure to get around the edges also.
Good advice. Teak is naturally oily. The teak oil probably would not affect the poly much but a light sand would not hurt. But sanding will remove the "probably dalys" teak oil and color so if you want the same color you will have to reapply the teak oil. I personally would not poly the cabinets but that's a personal choice.

I just refinished my cabinets in the galley. I sanded them and applied the Dalys. One coat of Dalys and two coats of lemon oil. Each year I apply lemon oil to all the interior teak. It keeps it looking great without making it darker.

Caution, when sanding the wood that is only veneer be very careful. It does not take much sanding to sand through the veneer.

GL. You are welcome to come by if you would like to see the results.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have been redoing our sole as well. One section at a time.

Sole has pealing varnish on some sections.

Before starting:

My Son colon sanding the sole.

The holy stripes were already sanded through in multiple spots before he started:

By the time he got the wood clean enough to varnish: they were even more gone:

Still it looks substantially better when we finished Before and after:

Good luck, and be real carful with the sanding.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Thanks for the pics, pateco.

The problems with varnish adhering to the teak veneer worry me.
Might just stick w/teak oil.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014

The entire sole was already varnished so we stuck with it. The less worn bits turned out much better

Before and after

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
My son also redid the engine hatch and cabin ladder

Before:

After:

Mar 16, 2015
Hunter 310 Lake Norman
I'd like to do this project on my 310. Any suggestions on how to remove dark stains in the veneer? As it was covered with poly I believe somehow moisture got in.

Sep 27, 2008
Grampian 26 26 Penetang,Ontario

Use an oil based urethane and you should have no problems with adhesion,after cleaning with acetone or lacquer thinner.

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
Mattie, typically the dark stains are a result of moisture penetration and then the growth of mildew beneath the coating. An old trick, but you have to hit it lucky to get uniform color results. Take it all down to the wood, no finish remaining, and then use plain old household Clorox on the dark stained areas. You might have to sort of multiple applications and spot treat the darker areas and blend them in. It is an old cabinet makers trick, good luck!