Refinishing Brass Clock/Barometer

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
When we got this boat nineteen years ago, we got her a gift: two Chelsea brass instruments, a six inch shipstrike wind-up clock and matching barometer. They are now starting to get a bit of pox on the lacquer clear finish. The factory wants $300 each to refinish them.

Personally, I wouldn't mind polishing them along with the bell, manufacture's plate and oil lamp. My big issue is figuring out how to remove the finish entirely. I will have to be extremely careful not to let any stripper migrate inside the case. But I have no idea what product I could use to remove the finish. I said it was clear lacquer finish, but that's a guess.

Any ideas how (or if) I should proceed?

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
In military school we used Brasso and elbow grease to remove the lacquer so we could "keep them in a high state of polish". (which is one of the reasons I'm going to Plasteak at some point).
Well polished brass looks good if you can stay after it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Once the lacquer finish is gone, it will be an ongoing task to polish the brass. Probably more than once a season. Your choices: learn to love the spots, learn to love polishing brass, or part with $300. :)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Or, check with a local clock shop that deals with antique clocks. They probably have done that before. Might also find a local "Clock Club". Those guys restore and fix old clocks so probably have some thoughts.

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I certainly won't suggest you try this, but here's what I did. Our barometer and ship's clock looked so bad I was considering sand blasting them and then either painting or having them powder coated. Instead I buffed them with a cloth wheel mounted in my drill press. I used a coarse cut compound first, followed by a finer compound. After they were buffed to a nice finish and shine I applied a coat of paste wax. I considered spraying them with lacquer but decided the wax was easier to maintain. Going on a year and they still look great.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Rick, didn't you ask this question about a year ago? Spend the $$$ and do it right. I don't think you'll want to spend all the time polishing the brass once all the lacquer is gone. I've been down this route and am glad I spent the $$$ to get the clock and barometer refinished.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rick- mine are getting a bit shabby and I am interested in your decision. Have any pictures to post?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I did a kerosene gimballed lamp a few years ago. Lots of elbow grease and magic erasers got the coating off, but only monthly polishing kept it looking good. I also think it is worth the money to have the job done right.
There used to be a fantastic product on the market called "Top Brass" (tired of polishing brass). It was used by places (bars, restaurants, theaters, etc.) that had brass railings and banisters, and even in those high use areas it would protect the polish for a year or so. One day it disappeared off the market, and I've not seen it since. It was made by a company in Ft. Lauderdale. If anyone sees it, PLEASE let me know, as I'd really like to use it again.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
There used to be a fantastic product on the market called "Top Brass" (tired of polishing brass). It was used by places (bars, restaurants, theaters, etc.) that had brass railings and banisters, and even in those high use areas it would protect the polish for a year or so. One day it disappeared off the market, and I've not seen it since. It was made by a company in Ft. Lauderdale. If anyone sees it, PLEASE let me know, as I'd really like to use it again.
How about a military PX or surplus store?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
OOOO grade steel wool should get the coating off.

Brasso is the first thing that I reach for when polishing brass, but Flitz also does a nice job & Simichrome will remove very fine marks in the surface if needed, in addition to just being a polish.

Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax adds a layer of protection that I have seen last fairly well in applications where the surface doesn't get man handled a lot.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
OOOO grade steel wool should get the coating off.
Steel wool often leaves bits of iron behind, eventually these rust. A better choice is bronze wool, it may leave bits behind, but it won't rust.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I recently restored a pair of anniversarie clocks with brass bases.
I stripped the original lacquer, polished, then recoated with brass lacquer. Very easy, they came out nice.
I think I found that spray on Amazon.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Here's a couple of photos
I recently restored a pair of anniversarie clocks with brass bases.
I stripped the original lacquer, polished, then recoated with brass lacquer. Very easy, they came out nice.
I think I found that spray on Amazon.
Doug, what did you use for stripper?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A high speed buffer with jewelers rouge on it will burn right through the thin coating..
Chris has the right idea. I grew up in a home that had one clock located in the kitchen. It was my dad's old Seth Thomas solid brass eight bell clock, which I inherited. It needs cleaning, but I can still clearly hear the strikes even though it has not run in several years. But I digress. Once a year I would use jewelers rouge on a buffing wheel to bring out the original luster that would last about a year or more.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
I actually like the look of aged and oxidized brass but I'm also a jewelry designer and most of my finished are brushed oxidized finishes.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
In military school we used Brasso and elbow grease to remove the lacquer so we could "keep them in a high state of polish".Well polished brass looks good if you can stay after it.
We did this as well, until we found someone who would gold plate them for cheap. Once gold plated there was no more oxidation to worry about. You just need to be careful about scratching off the gold finish as it is soft.

See if you can find a local metal plater to plate them in gold, Or try it yourself
Liquid Gold Plating System, Medallion Gold Plating Immersion System