Refinish a Mercury Blackmax Outboard Prop?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a prop that has a lot of the finish off, and lots of spots of corrosion on it. It looks, seems sound. Any recommendations on cleaning and refinishing it?

Thanks,

jv

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I assume it's a aluminum prop? If so and it has some corrosion I would recommend replace it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I assume it's a aluminum prop? If so and it has some corrosion I would recommend replace it.
It doesn't have sufficient corrosion to affect the mechanical integrity, it just has some surface, white, aluminum oxide where the black finish has failed.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It doesn't have sufficient corrosion to affect the mechanical integrity, it just has some surface, white, aluminum oxide where the black finish has failed.
The aluminum oxide will protect the underlying aluminum. Keeping paint on a prop is a losing battle. The props action through the water will wear away the paint. Looks good in a show room though.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The aluminum oxide will protect the underlying aluminum. Keeping paint on a prop is a losing battle. The props action through the water will wear away the paint. Looks good in a show room though.
That's a good point. I have one of these props that has the paint worn off the blades and in use it retains a nice, dull-gray patina.

Maybe I'll just clean up this one and use it as is.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
aluminum should be anodized to prevent corrosion. Anodize makes a pretty good surface to paint, but if it was bare aluminum and only painted then it will corrode. A plating shop can maybe strip the paint and re-anodize it for you. Not an expensive process. Another option is to use conversion coat (tradename Alodine) that also provides corrosion protection but not as good as anodize. This can be done at home if you buy the Alodine. Amazon.com: Henkel - Alodine 1201 Light Metals Conversion Coating, Quart: Gateway

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
aluminum should be anodized to prevent corrosion. Anodize makes a pretty good surface to paint, but if it was bare aluminum and only painted then it will corrode. A plating shop can maybe strip the paint and re-anodize it for you. Not an expensive process. Another option is to use conversion coat (tradename Alodine) that also provides corrosion protection but not as good as anodize. This can be done at home if you buy the Alodine. Amazon.com: Henkel - Alodine 1201 Light Metals Conversion Coating, Quart: Gateway
You are right about anodize. But consider the cost and time to find a shop to strip then another to anodize, you could just by a new one. I believe that jviss is referring to a small HP prop for his dink.
In his last post he is just going to clean it up and use it as is. That is what I would do as long as it is structurally sound.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Dave makes a good suggestion. I can't anodize it since there's a bonded rubber isolation bushing between the bore and the aluminum prop that would surely be destroyed in the process, and I think the bore is stainless. I am familiar with Alodine, I may still have some on hand from my airplane days.

A new one is about $100, and I've ordered one, but I like to have a spare on hand, as you can "spin" this, and there's no wa to repair it, no shear pin, just the bonded rubber.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The nice thing about anodize or alodine is it chemically modifies the surface of the metal. It is not a coating like paint or plating that can peel off. It is not something "bonded" to the surface. You are creating chemical compounds that are part of the object itself.