Refilling CNG Tank

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was thinking about the recent posts on this subject. All I could think of as to how to respond to these suggestions...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
i own 4 tanks, 3 were free from others switching to other systems.
Hi Jon. At the moment we have two newly re-certified and full CNG tanks, one on the boat that has 2K pounds left, but needs to be re-certified when empty. Having four tanks in rotation sounds like a better plan. Two on the boat and two at home as backup.

Now that we have a good supply of CNG, we'll probably use the stove more often. Coffee in the morning, cooking lunch and dinner and some baking. Looking forward to another cruising season up north with the admiral aboard. Desolation Sound, Gulf Islands, Nakwatko Rapids, etc., etc., etc., and etc.

Dec 25, 2000
Called Sure Marine a few days ago and asked one of the reps whether they had any CNG tanks left over from their discontinued exchange program. Yup. Make us an offer. Okay. So, I'm going to visit their business and make that offer for two tanks in good condition. As long as they have no deep rust pits, odds are that Fire King will re-certify them for five years. They told me that these steel tanks that remain in good condition almost never expire. That way I will have four CNG tanks to rotate; two at home as full spares and two on the boat. Woohoo!

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’ve seen other compressed gas tanks with hydro dates in the early 1900’s . I think the oldest was 1918

Dec 25, 2000
I’ve seen other compressed gas tanks with hydro dates in the early 1900’s . I think the oldest was 1918
Yup. Those old steel tanks only become worrisome when they are deeply rust pitted according to Fire king. Otherwise, well cared for will last forever.

Jul 3, 2024
Catalina C-34 Des Monies
In case you missed my posting over on another forum, there is a CNG filling station located in Fife, WA for those in need.

Took our two empty tanks to have them re-certified this morning, which the filling station requires. Fire King in Seattle (206/337-9997) will certify a tank for five years at a cost of $60.50 each. The two I have need it done and they say it will take about a week.. Commercial Sales in Fife, WA (just south of Seattle, 253/922-6670) will fill each tank for $33.50. Both tanks need to go through the process and an update will come soon once they have filled both tanks including any hiccups along the way. Commercial Sales will fill tanks to 2,250 pounds. They are open M-F, are located at 6411 Pacific Hwy. E., Fife, WA and will fill tanks in about fifteen minutes. Fire King is open 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. M-F, are located at 240 S. Holden, Seattle WA.
Thanks for the information on Commercial Sales. Was in a bit of a panic thinking I would have to move to propane. Stopped by there today and got my GNC tank filled.

They mentioned that there has been a name change for Fire King. It's now called Performance Systems Integration if you need to get your tank recertified.

Mike Stout
Mission accomplished. Drove to Fire King this afternoon and picked up my two re-certified CNG tanks, then on to Energy Conversions (AKA Commercial Sales) in Fife. Terry the owner filled both tanks in about 15 minutes. One happy skipper here.