Refilling CNG Tank

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
In case you missed my posting over on another forum, there is a CNG filling station located in Fife, WA for those in need.

Took our two empty tanks to have them re-certified this morning, which the filling station requires. Fire King in Seattle (206/337-9997) will certify a tank for five years at a cost of $60.50 each. The two I have need it done and they say it will take about a week.. Commercial Sales in Fife, WA (just south of Seattle, 253/922-6670) will fill each tank for $33.50. Both tanks need to go through the process and an update will come soon once they have filled both tanks including any hiccups along the way. Commercial Sales will fill tanks to 2,250 pounds. They are open M-F, are located at 6411 Pacific Hwy. E., Fife, WA and will fill tanks in about fifteen minutes. Fire King is open 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. M-F, are located at 240 S. Holden, Seattle WA.

Dec 25, 2000
Our two tanks are the old steel round bottom version. After looking at them the re-certification technician told me that they looked good, no rust or pitting, which would be cause for concern. He said it would take a few days and they would call when ready for pickup.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks, Keep us posted Terry. I have two filled tanks right now but if I can find a tank or two where someone has converted to LPG I'd like to get them and have them hydro tested IF I can find a place to fill them. There is a CNG filling station for trucks in Savannah GA and they let me fill my tanks with an adapter, but I suspect that the person who allowed me to do that wasn't aware of any "company policies" that would forbid that. The next guy might just say "NO WAY."

Dec 25, 2000
Called this morning and Fire King told me my tanks are ready for pickup. Good for five years and at a cost of $121 and change for recertification of both. Later this month I'll pick them up on my way to Commercial Sales to have them filled, rather than make two trips. Since I work M-F and they're closed on the weekend, 10/28 is my next day to make the trip to Fife.

Dec 25, 2000
So, tomorrow I plan to pick up my two re-certified CNG tanks from Fire King in Seattle, then drive to Fife to have them both filled by Commercial Sales. No hiccups along the way so far. I'll keep one full spare tank on board and one at home until needed. A full tank will last us a cruising season. This has been a major relief to our cruising life.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Sounds great Terry. I have three filled tanks. One on the boat and two in standby at home. None are currently "in certification" but are in very good visual condition. When I have emptied two of the three and start the third tank on the boat I'll find a shop that can re-certify the two (hopefully) but I am good for at least 3 years.

Dec 25, 2000
Mission accomplished. Drove to Fire King this afternoon and picked up my two re-certified CNG tanks, then on to Energy Conversions (AKA Commercial Sales) in Fife. Terry the owner filled both tanks in about 15 minutes. One happy skipper here.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
back in he day when we would campaign aeolus pretty hard all over the the great lakes, with 5 to 8 on board, a tank would generally last 2 weeks. coffee and a hot breakfast for all and a hot dinner every night. we preferred the wild places to sail to. we are good/healthy cooks. carried the second tank deep in the bilge. i own 4 tanks, 3 were free from others switching to other systems. getting refills are easy and cheap in NE Wis.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
We don't "campaign" the boat so our usage is limited. We also have a generator and microwave, which is used for heating items we have prepared and brought onboard for the trip. I sure it would not last a full season with heavy use.

Dec 25, 2000
back in he day when we would campaign aeolus pretty hard all over the the great lakes, with 5 to 8 on board, a tank would generally last 2 weeks.
Hi Jon. Generally, only me on board during the season, so not much gas cooking. Even with a crew of one (wifey) we still get a season out of a tank. When I run the Genset every other day to recharge the house bank and heat water, I also do some one pot meal cooking with a hot plate. This also gives me left overs, which I reheat in the microwave.

Now that we have a CNG filling source, baking has been added to the cooking agenda. Fresh baked bread, muffins, etc., with butter and jam slathered on. Yum.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
baking under sail is a real treat. soups and chowders are another of my favorites when under way.

aeolus is a 66' camper and i have kept it that way on purpose. no modern gizmos have been added. well, mostly. the cng is more modern than the kerosene system with it's huge flair ups during heat-up. i like to share the old school systems. for better or for worse.

still carry a pressure cooker.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Baking Blueberry Muffins in the oven and hot coffee on the stove top in the morning at anchor is heaven. Of course a single malt scotch at sunset watching the dolphins play after a brisk sail is heaven too.