Refer Box Drain

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I have a 2003 hull number 218, which has the refer box drain going to a Y valve under the head sink shared with the shower sump drain exiting the boat via the head intake through hull. I have replaced the Y-valve and the inline strainer between the Y-valve and the sump pump located under the head sink and hose. I can feel some minor suction if I put my finger on the refer box drain, but it is not enough to pull a suction and drain the box (I see air bubble in the strainer, and cant force it to pick up by starting a stream from the shower drain and quickly switching to ice box). I think there is an air leak between the drain fitting and the hose below because the hose is damp under the galley sink, but the access is poor from the cabinet under the sink.
I did not try real hard because the boat is 100 degrees today in VA and the fridge is full of water 4" deep. Has anyone found a way to access the drain fitting in the bottom of the fridge after removing the plywood base in the cabinet under the galley sink?
I will manually pump the ice box dry and look for other solutions next time I get to boat but wonder if anyone that replace this hose or tightened the connection somehow?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a 2003 hull number 218, which has the refer box drain going to a Y valve under the head sink shared with the shower sump drain exiting the boat via the head intake through hull. I have replaced the Y-valve and the inline strainer between the Y-valve and the sump pump located under the head sink and hose.
This is a little tough to comprehend; what does the Y-valve switch? With what did you replace the Y-valve and strainer? A diagram would help. I get that there's one thru-hull, a shower sump pump, the head intake hose, reefer drain hose, a Y-valve, and a strainer: but how is it all connected?

But that doesn't answer your question, I know; sorry. It just seems like a rather goofy design, and I wonder if it can be improved.

Mar 6, 2008
It is the layout specific to certain age 310. There is a y valve that switches suction between the shower sump and a drain hose for the refer drain. The discharge from pump goes out the head intake through hull via a tee. As troubleshooting, I have replaced the old y-valve (handle seemed wonky) with a similar Y-valve. After looking at the strainer, I saw air bubbles, and a deformed hose connection, so I replaced it with a samilar strainer. I can post a diagram, but I was wondering if an owner of a similar age 310 may have found a way to access the connection under the icebox which seems hard to get to on my inital inspection

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
I have hull #250 - I happened to place a propane sniffer at the baseboard there and was able to peak inside - I can only say that there was a white PVC tube running down there from the bottom of the fridge, and it's almost hard up against that baseboard (the marine electrician accidentally hit it while drilling). Sorry I can't be of more help. My set up sounds same as yours.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If the fridge drain is a hose, then most likely fridge content pieces have blocked the hose. Reverse blow it out anyway. Just cover the hole in the fridge so you don't shoot it all over the cabin.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I had chartered a Beneteau 331 that had a similar set-up. Plumbing with a pump and valve that diverted water from the ice box drain or shower sump and overboard by way of a thru hull fitting. Before you start tearing into cabinetry and plumbing, I would try Kappy and Ron’s suggestion. Vacuum the water contents from the ice box and blow out the icebox drain line with a hose in both directions as necessary. As Ron mentioned there could be food debris blocking the line or perhaps algae. If algae, you might need to also flush with bleach. May have to do this a few times to clear the obstruction. Definitely need to get on this because you’re going to have a nasty mold problem with all that water in the ice box combined with summer temps.

Mar 6, 2008
Thanks, I have blown out the hose with city water pressure in the past while troubleshooting, but it still will not pull a prime.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My setup is same and I appear to have the same problem. Pump drains shower sump, but fridge seems to be my leak source. I too have not torn into this, probably wait till cool temps in fall.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Grasping for answers here. You’ve got a 17 year old pump; maybe time to replace the impeller or perhaps the entire pump.

Mar 6, 2008
I removed the board in under the galley sink, and with a combination of an inspection mirror and the phone/ipad cameras determined that there is a hose barb glassed into the bottom aft corner of the icebox assembly. Best I can tell is that the 1/2 wire reinforced "heater" hose is attached to the hose barb with no hose clamp. Best I can feel is that It seems to be recessed into the fiberglass and I dont think there is room for a clamp. My next attempt will be to find a snake that will fit into the refer box drain (about 1/4" max) and see if there is a clog in the line as mentioned previously in this thread, as It worked for many years with no issue. It could also be the pump is weak as mentioned above and will pull suction from the sump but not the icebox. If the snake does not work I will look into rebuilding the pump.