Reefing the main

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2009
Catalina 310 Ephraim WI
We just bought a 2001 310 with single line reefing. The main sail slot has a sail stop screw just above the wide spot for inserting the sail lugs. The problem is the sail stop prevents the reefed part of the sail from sliding down to the boom when reefing. Our old Pearson had a "cover" with a screw attachment that allowed the sail slugs to slide all the way to the boom without falling out of the slot. It could be removed to remove or install the sail as needed.
Is there such a part for the 310 or what have others done to get a nicely reefed main.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
So far all I done was drill and tap for 10-32 screws.
I do not use the sail slug any more after the last one went over board and don't plan on installing a new slug.

My friend ,Troy just sent me this picture of him in the lead plane flying over Deception Pass bridge in Wa.... pretty cool huh

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
slugs for reef

Instead of sewing each slug directly to the sail grommet, you can reeve a continuous line through the several sail grommets and lower couple of slugs. Adjust the line length so that it is tight when the main is up, but when you reef there is enough slack so that the slugs will stay above your stopper (or bolt as Paul references above). Depending on who made your main, you may need to install a few extra grommets to do this. I can take pictures and get the grommet spacing of the way I have my main if you want.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
The grommet spacing shown is: Top grommet 2" below 1st reef cringle, 2nd grommet 13" down, 3rd grommet 17" down, 4th grommet 28" down.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.