Reefing the main

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
I know the theory behind how to reef a main sail but have never actually done it (either on my previous boat - O'Day 22 or my current boat - S2 9.2C). My question is - step by step how do I reef the main on the S2 (what lines to use and where they lead on the boom)? If there are any diagrams or weblinks, that would be appreciated also.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Make sure you have ties for the reef points along the boom. These can be left in the sail to just hang there under full sail if you like. Point into the wind. We loosen main halyard (but hold it around a winch) and pull in the reef line (we have a reefing line in a clutch for this you may or may not). When sail is down and tied along the boom, then we snug up the main halyard and you're ready to go. Keep in mind we've been sailing only about one year. Do you have a reefing line?
I just found this site- http://www.sailingusa.info/weather_and_reefing.htm

May 2, 2008
To be honest, I don't know what is there. There are lines on the boom but that is why I made this inquiry - to figure out what I have and how to use it! I have many years of basic sailing experience (fair weather, day sailing on the O'Day 22) and one summer of daysailing on the S2. I want to "up" my knowledge and abilities.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Please provide a photo of your boom / rigging and I am confident your questions can be answered.

May 2, 2008
BobM, here are some pictures I took this morning. Hopefully they show what is necessary. I do have a few others that show the mast end of the boom as well as the aft end.

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Your reefing lines don't seem to run back to the cockpit. If so, you would have two more blocks at the base of the mast plus two additional turning blocks on deck. Do you have a pair reefing horns at the front of your boom near the mast? I can't tell from the third photo. If so, you would have to loosen the main halyard (once you figure out how much for each reef you should mark it) go to the mast, hook the reefing cringle at the luff onto a hook, then harden the reefing line which passes through the boom to the aft end. There may be a set of cam cleats built into the boom near the mast with two lines hanging down. I think I can see one of them in the photo. You would then tie the individual reef lines on the sail around the boom (this step is somewhat optional).

At the end of your boom you should have a wire and two lines coming out. The longer of the two lines in the boom is the second reef and the shorter is the first reef. The reefing lines must be run up through the appropriate reef cringle on the leach of the sail and down and through a loop on the boom (see the loop in the third photo). There should be one loop on either side and the one for the second reef will be further forward than the one for the first reef. This is so that, when you pull on the line the down force on the cringle is perpendicular to the mast.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
On my boat the reefing lines are the same aft, but forward each line comes out of the boom, goes through a turning block on the mast and up through the forward reefing cringle then down through a block at the base of the mast, then through a turning block and aft to the cockpit where they are secured by a clutch.

The reefing lines aren't run back in some of the photos, but are white/green fleck :cry: and white/red fleck :eek:. You can at least see the arrangement of turning blocks. On the starboard side three lines go aft, reefing, main halyard and the spinnaker halyard. On the left, just two. The jib halyard and the reefing line. In the third photo you can see the white/green fleck reefing line come down from the cringle (the sail is furled so use your imagination) and through...this is ridiculous...I found another photo...look at the last photo and you can see the line coming down from the cringle to the block.

This would be a worthwhile improvement to your boat, especially if you will single hand on extended trips where you might not anticipate the need to reef.

Attachments

May 2, 2008
Your reefing lines don't seem to run back to the cockpit. If so, you would have two more blocks at the base of the mast plus two additional turning blocks on deck. Do you have a pair reefing horns at the front of your boom near the mast? I can't tell from the third photo. If so, you would have to loosen the main halyard (once you figure out how much for each reef you should mark it) go to the mast, hook the reefing cringle at the luff onto a hook, then harden the reefing line which passes through the boom to the aft end. There may be a set of cam cleats built into the boom near the mast with two lines hanging down. I think I can see one of them in the photo. You would then tie the individual reef lines on the sail around the boom (this step is somewhat optional).

At the end of your boom you should have a wire and two lines coming out. The longer of the two lines in the boom is the second reef and the shorter is the first reef. The reefing lines must be run up through the appropriate reef cringle on the leach of the sail and down and through a loop on the boom (see the loop in the third photo). There should be one loop on either side and the one for the second reef will be further forward than the one for the first reef. This is so that, when you pull on the line the down force on the cringle is perpendicular to the mast.
There are 3 lines (2 are rope - one running along the port side (inside the boom) from the aft end of the boom to the mast, the other is shown in one of the previous pictures running from outside, into the boom, aft then around a pulley and up to the mast). I will attach more pictures. The third is wire to rope with the wire at the aft end of boom and the rope at the mast. My mainsail has only 1 set of reef points. My question is how do I attach any of those lines to the reef point(s) and then how do I 'snug' things?

Attachments

May 2, 2008
Can we take this one step at a time...what do I do with the line (rope) that is shown in the first series of pictures I posted? I assume the free end attaches to the sail but how is it routed?

May 2, 2008
Can we take this one step at a time...what do I do with the line (rope) that is shown in the first series of pictures I posted? I assume the free end attaches to the sail but how is it routed?
Here is a diagram that I tried to draw. I need to know where LA (Line A) attaches to the main sail and how it is routed (loop, cleat, etc. on boom).

Attachments

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It appears from your photos that you have exactly the same reefing gear I do, Kenyon in boom reefing. Stand by for a complete explanation that I'll post over on the All Sailors forum.

May 2, 2008
YES, I do have the Kenyon in boom reefing. I would really appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.