Reefing the Main! O'day 22

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Hi, everyone. Please see photos. I'm trying to sort out the reefing system in my 1981 Oday 22. The first photo is port side in the boom, aft. The line attached to this block is currently setting on the cockpit floor. This photo also shows the outhaul. The second photo is a cleat, port side a couple of feet forward of the block. The third photo is a cleat on the starboard side and currently is holding the line from the outhaul. I'm not sure if that's where that line needs to be. Take a look at my outhaul. Should there be a block? it is simply tied and ran to that starboard cleat. There isn't much room on the end of the boom, though.

So, can anyone help with sorting out the reefing sytem? I have the reefing horn on the bottom of the mast and see the reefing clew and tack and small strings for reefings points. It also has a boom that rolls. Do I have to roll it? I'm mainly concerned with how to use the reefing line and that block affixed to aft portion of boom. Thanks.
20200823_133907_compress81.jpg
20200823_133915_compress20.jpg
20200823_133831_compress29.jpg
20200823_133935_compress4.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's hard to tell what I'm looking at. The white line with blue speckles, that is tied to that turning block, disappears over the purple binimi and seems to head down to the cockpit - is it the end of the mainsheet? I assume the line tied around that horn cleat which you've ID'ed as outhaul, goes to the eye in the end of the boom and hence to the clew of the main. No block so there must be a lot of friction. I think it would be hard to get the lower main flat.
Likewise I don't know where the blue white flecked line is coming from and why it's wrapped around the boom several times trapping the the prior mentioned white blue speckled line. Also, the tang at the end of the boom looks like it is holding the main sheet tackle.
The thing I can say with some certainty is that the boom roller furling is not being used in the set up because the topping lift would be attached to the rolling tang at the end of the boom, which is hanging down, or maybe attached to the main sheet tackle. And I'd be surprised to learn that a roller boom would be still in use. It wasn't very successful. My Ranger 29 once had it but it wasn't used while the PO and I had the boat.
If the reefing line is external on the boom and runs forward to aft, it could run through that block (The block would have to be turned around for the reefing to work from the end of the boom), up through the reefing cringle on the sail, and then to ... maybe tied around the boom?. To reef you would slack the halyard, attach the forward reefing cringle to the reefing hook or horn, pull in the external reefing line to very tight and re-raise the halyard. A lot of work with this set up and lack of mechanical advantage.
If possible please take pics of the reefing horn on the bottom of the mast, the blue line with white flecks which is wrapped around the boom where attaches or turns up in the air, the top of the mast, several of the end of the boom, the mainsheet tackle, underside of the boom and the gooseneck. Maybe you'll get better responses.

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Thanks for your response, shemandr. I will take some pictures tomorrow with the main up. The line that disappears iver the bimini is tied to the end of the block on boom and I just tossed it aside for the picture. It usually stays stored on the cleat a short distance forward from the block. And you are correct in the outhaul setup. I cant imagine unknotting it to adjust it while under sail. There is no block. The small blue and white flecked rope is a temporary topping lift arrangement to keep the boom off the bimini. I. eed to adjust the pigtail higher that holds the boom. And you are correct on the tang.

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Also, there isn't an eye strap on opposite side of boom which I have seen on other diagrams.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It's standard slab reefing at the leech. The bitter end of the reefing line goes like this:

Bitter end of the reef line is tied to the post on the cheek block at the aft end of the boom.
under the boom.
up the opposite side of the sail
thru the reef grommet on the leech.
down the same side side of the sail as the cheek block.
thru the cheek block from back to front.
along the boom to a horn cleat.

Judy B

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Thank you, Judy. The mystery has been solved! I am very grateful to both of you for taking the time to help a beginner.

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
My O Day 20 main can be reefed by pulling on the boom until it comes out of the goose neck and then rolling the main around the boom. I think the 22 uses the same spring loaded goose neck. (can see it listed on D & R Marine parts for the oday 22.) If windy I wrap it about 3 times and use a smaller thistle jib for balance. Works well.