Reefing the jib

Nov 18, 2015
Sirius 21 Oyster Bay, NY
Took the Sirius 21 out for a sail yesterday. It was blowing 10-15kts with gust up to what seemed to be the 25-30 kts range. So we decided to reef the jib for the first time. The two reefing lines/straps worked ok, but the clew end was definitely flapping about. Thinking about using an electric tie to secure it (temporarily). Figured I would ask the forum to see if anyone had any ideas/pics of ways to secure the unreefed clew when using the jib in the reefed configuration. Also must say how impressed (again) I am with this boat. We had a 2-3 mile beat back to the dock and were getting hit with these healthy gusts. She heeled but recovered quickly and we never felt out of control in what I considered to be challenging conditions.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm assuming you are talking about slab reefing your jib - not roller reefing. I used to have a reefing jib on my Ranger 29. I only reefed it once. It was over a decade ago. I vaguely remember having a problem controlling the excess sail. Maybe you could lash or zip tie the clew to the two sheets which would now be tied to the reefing cringle. The two sheets would be lashed together as one with the reefed sail and the clew, then separate to become the sheets.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It's been a long time (back in the late 60's). I reefed a hanged on jib while on a MORC boat in the Chesapeake. We dropped the jib to the reef point. Swichted the sheets to the new clew point. Folded the clew back onto the extra foot of the sail. Attached the new tack point and secured the extra rolled foot section of the sail with 5 bits of line. Worked to finish the race. The owner later realized that reefing the jib is not as good as buying a smaller sail for those days when it is needed.

Now a days there is roller reefing.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
I have done that just a few times and like the previous posts mention the clew gets brought up to the leech reef cringle and the sheet tied/clipped on and try and tuck in the excess as best possible. It was pretty ugly but did the job. A small jib would be a better option if you see these conditions on a regular basis. We often have the main reefed above 15 knots going upwind.

Nov 18, 2015
Sirius 21 Oyster Bay, NY
Yes, it worked for us too, but it sure wasn't pretty. I figured I would check for "local knowledge" to see if there was a trick that I was missing. In hind-sight we should have reefed the main and used the full jib. A storm jib would be nice also. Too bad Christmas has just passed. I will have to put that on my list for next year.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Too bad Christmas has just passed. I will have to put that on my list for next year.
You know, now that you are an adult you can give yourself permission to celebrate Christmas any time you like...;)