Reefing technique on selden in-mast furling system

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I am with Art and luff up when reefing. Since my rig is a double spreader when the true wind speed is about 16kts I unfurl to the second spreader or reef to the second spreader. Above 25 kts first spreader. Above 30 just a scrap if close hauled.

Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 38 Ocean Gate, NJ
Speaking of in-mast furling, has anyone used the slot cover that Selden makes? If so, is it designed as a cover with the sail still mounted or as a weather cover while the sail is off for the winter?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Speaking of in-mast furling, has anyone used the slot cover that Selden makes? If so, is it designed as a cover with the sail still mounted or as a weather cover while the sail is off for the winter?
Doh!

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 44AC Marina Del Rey
FYI, If you open the mast access and grab the furling rod with your hand (with the main furled in) and you can make the sail slap against the inside of the mast, it is way too loose and will not roll up well. I tightened the rod quite a bit (per Selden manual) and it now rolls up with little to no effort. Especially if you let the sail lay against the starboard side as you roll.... I am now adding a gas spring to my rod kicker to eliminate the topping lift. Anyone know the McMaster Carr equivalent spring? Type 30 vang.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I have two sets of marks: one on my outhaul line, in permanent marker, one on the boom, in colored tape on port and starboard sides of the boom. Our enclosure (we are in the PNW) sometimes makes it difficult to view the sail position, esp when singlehanded. The outhaul line marks are invaluable for the reefing crew. The boom marks also the helm to confirm position. If I head out in anything over 12kn that promises to build, I always go forward and switch the Selden system to the "ratchet" position. It's the Selden version of "reef early."

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
Interesting thread. My question relates to deploying the mainsail in heavy winds. According to the article from Capt. Jack Dusendschon (see link below), in heavy winds, the in-mast furled mainsail should be deployed fully first and then furled back to the right amount for the wind conditions. The idea is to make sure that the sail is furled correctly in order to minimize stress on the sail. I don't like to deploy the full sail in winds above 25 knots as the sail will be flapping violently but it is also hard to control the furler while at the same time pulling in the outhaul. I'd love to get the opinions of the experts on the forum. What do you do in these conditions?

Many thanks - Harry

Note: I have the Selden in-mast furler on my Hunter 44ds.

The In's and Out's of In-Mast Furling
"It’s important to note that this is not how you should reef a mainsail with In-Mast Furling. The key difference is that it’s necessary to pull the sail all the way out of the mast, and then reef the sail by pulling the inhaul and rolling the sail evenly into the mast. Sure, there’s quite a bit of noise, and the crew member’s trip to the mast to switch the winch to ‘In’ or ‘Ratchet’, but the possible damage to the sail if you don’t pull it all the way out first can be drastic. I have seen many mainsails where the sail was reefed at the time it was rolled out of the mast, which caused an uneven amount of sail coming out of the track and ripped the sail along the leach. The larger amount of sail cloth at the foot of the sail gets pulled out quicker by the strong wind, which causes tension along the leach and the fabric near the head to bunch up and catch in the mast track. A severely-ripped leach at the beginning of your sailing day is obviously a huge headache."

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........took the main out with the outhaul, after slackening the Main In/Main Out lines.......then pulled the main back in with the Main In, while the outhaul was slackened.............Is the proper reefing technique to slacken the outhaul, reel in the main-in to an acceptable reef point, then adjust and tighten the outhaul?..........
Before you furl out set the winch on the mast to free, slack the main sheet and boom bang, maintain slight tension on furl in line and winch the outhaul while on a starboard tack.

Before you furl in set the winch at the mast to ratchet (do this immediately after furing the mainsail out so you are ready to reef the main. Slack the main sheet and boom bang, maintain tension on the outhaul (do not let it go free) then winch in the furl in line on the winch while on a starboard tack to an acceptable reef point. I use the mainsail head position relative to the spreaders as an indication of the reef points.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022
Hunter Hunter 33 TOMAS MAESTRE
I´m having a problem and I expect anyone can relate and guide me. Even in the "ratchet" position, my main sail unfurls when reefed with a lot of wind. It´s very unpleasant because it means I can´t reef the sail with heavy winds (the purpose of reefing)

I think I understand the logic of the ratchet/free and the infinity ropes, but maybe I´m missing something.

I´m eager to inspect the mast from inside (there is a video on Youtube about it
) but I´m not sure about it

Thanks in advance and excuse me for my english

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might be the furling mast rachet teeth are worn and/or continuous furling line is not holding and has to be replaced. I would have a rigger familiar with Selden furling masts inspect it. If it is, its not a simple replacement according to my rigger.