Reefing- second reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Smith

I have single line reefing on my sail and like the quick way it reefs. BUT what can I do to put on a second reef. Can I just re install the line to the second reef points or can I install a second single line reefing system. Is this hard to do ? Cost effective advisable, etc. Has anyone done this ? Dan Smith ( REUNION #533)

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

2nd Reef

Dan, I'm not real sure because mine is not rigged up yet (I picked up the boat in Feb)..but it's on the list. I've got two moveable blocks on the track on the side of the boom which should allow me to rig both reef points if I use the higher end line because it is smaller I believe I can double up in the other blocks back to the cleat.?? Wear should not be a factor because of little use. Well that's how I'm going to try to do it anyway..if not I'll only have one reef.. I'm looking forward to hearing from other on this subject also Good Luck Mike

B

Bob Teeter

Reefing Second Reef

I'm not sure if the MKII is the same as the original C42 and I understand that there have been several different manufacturers of the spars, but I did rig the second reef on our boat. Inside the boom there is a floating block called a bullet block. You will need to pull the end cap off of the boom and install a second block. The block has a line that runs through the end of the boom and up through the sail and is tied under the boom on a slide. The other end of the first line is then run through a hole on the end of the boom cap and tied. The second line goes forward and has one end tied to the same place the lower reef is tied and the second is rigged (at least on my boat) to run to the port winch. I did have to remove the stoppers in the front of the boom to allow the line to move properly. I moved both of my head sail halyards to the mast to free up space for the second reef line. I run the halyard to the winch when I put the head sail on in the spring or when it needs adjustment. As I recall, I got a diagram from Catalina and suggust you try giving them a call or contact the C 42 Accociation for additional spec. I have found the second reef very useful, but have found that it is best to put the first reef in first and then pull in the second reef. Otherwise you end up with lines hanging from everywhere. Bob Teeter Camelot

E

Ernie A

C-42 2nd Reef works very well

Hi, Dan-- Some good response to your post. I've done it and like it. The 2nd reef was easy to to install. My stock sail already had the cringles and points for a 2nd reef. All that was needed was the butterfly (double bullet) block. Catalina sent one. It's a two-line system. The lines are rove just like the 1st reef, but the opposite way and lead to the cockpit on the opposite side (port). It takes a bit of trial and error to get the aft reef line correct. With the sail raised, the line should pass around the boom (directly beneath the 2nd reef cringle) and back through a cringle in the foot of the sail with a small bowline about the standing part of the reefline, up through the 2nd reef cringle, down to the sheeve at the boom end, into the boom, around the aft sheeve of the bullet blocks with the block just short of the aft end of the boom, to the dead-eye at the boom end. The fwd reef line goes from a dead-eye at the mast at one side of the gooseneck, through the 2nd reef cringle, around one sheeve at the fwd end of the boom and around the fwd sheeve of the bullet block, back to another sheeve at the gooseneck, around a turning block at the mast collar, through the line organizer to the jam cleat in the cockpit. Works just like the 1st reef lines. I made the mistake of using a double block at the mast collar for turning both 1st and 2nd reef lines. Two separate blocks are better. One thing important! I found that with the slide-stop in place at the keyway, the sail could not be lowered sufficiently and undue stress (to the point of ripping) was placed on the sail by the 2nd reef line. What is needed is a MAST GATE. If you have a Charlston spar, send them a "rubbing" of the keyway and they will send you an appropirate pair of gates that screw in place over the the track keyway to allow the sail to drop to the boom without spilling out the keyway.They are adjustable, retracting out of the way to remove the slides when its time to remove the sail. The original slide-stop now parks out of the way down by the gooseneck. With the mast gate, the system works like a charm. Seldom have I had to worry about being overpowered and that includes sailing in a full gale. Cheers-- Ernie April (WindCatcher C-42 #618)

G

Gerry Hull

Cat 42 2nd reef

Hi, Just finished installing 2nd reef in Acadia #415. Works fine. Started with an eye strap on boom up to reef point in leech and back down to shiv in end of boom. Then internally led line foward on port side of boom to an exit box which I cut out and installed, then around a cheek block and then to a winch. For the 2nd reef tack I made up a ss eye strap at the gooseneck with a cunningham hook . Lower main to this point , hook on and re-tighten luff. Call me if you want to discuss details. 954 463 0600 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.