Reefing lines update

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
My '83 Catalina 36 has a double reef setup, (ending at the mast). The lines are huge, 5/8s or bigger, and thus heavy. In light air they drag the back of the sail down. And when the sail comes down, I have all this heavy line spread everywhere. So I'm thinking of replacing them with new lighter and stronger tech, such as Dyneema. Aside from cost, would there be any downside to such a change, any reason not to do that?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sounds like a smart idea to me. The only down side I see is thinner line is harder to grip. I struggle with that on my topping lift.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Smaller and light should work fine, on my 34 it had 3/8 from the factory. I'm not too concerned with the strength as all
modern line is sufficient. As was said, just keep a size you can handle. Personally I would save the cost of the high tech stuff for my halyards. My 2 cents......................

Steve

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wow those are HUGE and for no good reason. Our 36.7 has a bigger main and uses 3/8ths, dyneema cored, more for stretch than strength. A good 3/8 double braid will be fine for your application. Just make sure your clutches can grab the smaller line.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, way oversized. 3/8" Stay Set is all you need. Double line reefing is great, keep it.

Are you aware of the C36 Association? www.c36ia.org. There's a great bunch of skippers there, knowledgeable about your specific boat, and they have a forum, too.