Reefing Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amere

Apr 13, 2006
Pearson P-38 Westbrook, CT
The other day on my P38 I got caught in some 20+ knot winds and, since we had a long way to go and my wife was getting uneasy, I decided to put a reef in the main. On a P38, as well as on a P36 and P37, the boom is an Isomat and the reefing lines are internal within the boom. Unfortunately the aft line (which runs through a pully system in the boom)became untied from the boom and slipped through the cringle. When I pulled the line to reef the sail the line disappeared into the back of the boom. My guess is that I have to remove the sail, remove the boom, remove the end fitting from the boom and finally try to recapture the line. Anybody got any better ideas,

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
Snake

I would think you could snake a messenger (smaller) line through with a long dowel, fiberglass fence rod (used w/electric fences) or some such, long enough, small enough diameter, rod. Potentially even a plumber's snake or severall straightened coat hangers duct taped together. Call up Rube Goldberg, I'm sure he'd know.

Oct 14, 2007
Pearson P30, P34 Maine
Electrician's Snake

Google Eletrician Snake. You should be able to snake that with no trouble at all. Think of a whole bunch of coat hangers, already tied together, neatly wound up on a reel, but flattened like a popsicle stick instead of round like wire.:D

Nov 25, 2005
Pearson 36-2 Ocean,NJ
You could try...

making sure there is plenty of slack in the forward reefing line and lowering the aft end of the boom down until the block assembly comes down to the end fitting. This should work unless the front line is too stiff - if it is - try feeding it down by pushing the line in from the front of the boom with the aft end angled down. Once at the end plate, you can feed a messinger line through the hole in the end plate (you may have to remove a bird guard if one is installed) and through the aft block of the block assembly. Then use the messenger to pull through the new reefing line. Let us know how you make out.

Oct 14, 2007
Pearson P30, P34 Maine
making sure there is plenty of slack in the forward reefing line and lowering the aft end of the boom down until the block assembly comes down to the end fitting. This should work unless the front line is too stiff - if it is - try feeding it down by pushing the line in from the front of the boom with the aft end angled down. Once at the end plate, you can feed a messinger line through the hole in the end plate (you may have to remove a bird guard if one is installed) and through the aft block of the block assembly. Then use the messenger to pull through the new reefing line. Let us know how you make out.
OK, I'll take education when I can get it. Are you saying there is a block system inside the boom for the reef lines? I've heard of this for the outhaul but I would think the amount of line (20 feet?) that has to come in to secure the reef line would be more that the length of the boom.

How is this arranged? (we need a little "I'm all ears" emoticon)

Amere

Apr 13, 2006
Dave,

Thanks for the diagram, I have seen it before and have a copy someplace in my files. I have taken the front fitting off the boom before this sailing season started as I was thinking of running the outhaul line to the cockpit, in the end decided against it. I am waiting till I get the mainsail off amd then I will try to remove the aft fitting to fish out the line. Mostly I was hoping someone on here might have an easier way to retreive the line and I wouldn't have to wait till I take the sail off, oh well.

Bill
Amere

Dec 22, 2008
Pearson 37 Severna Park, MD
Use second reefing line

The other day on my P38 I got caught in some 20+ knot winds and, since we had a long way to go and my wife was getting uneasy, I decided to put a reef in the main. On a P38, as well as on a P36 and P37, the boom is an Isomat and the reefing lines are internal within the boom. Unfortunately the aft line (which runs through a pully system in the boom)became untied from the boom and slipped through the cringle. When I pulled the line to reef the sail the line disappeared into the back of the boom. My guess is that I have to remove the sail, remove the boom, remove the end fitting from the boom and finally try to recapture the line. Anybody got any better ideas,
Do you have another reefing line in the boom? If so, it may be possible to tie a messenger to the second reefing line, and pull it back through the boom. You'll have to bring the internal block all the way to the after end of the boom to make this work, but it should be possible. You might try the same trick with the outhaul if it runs all the way through the boom and doesn't exit midway.

Amere

Apr 13, 2006
Thanks guys for the suggestions. This fall after I removed the sail I also removed the boom and took it home to work on. I first removed the aft end cap but could see nothing, however when I removed the forward end cap I found the shuttle blocks up against the stop. Fortunately I had installed a chase line when I removed the topping lift (so I could use the Dutchman system) and used that to pull back the reefing line. Next spring I need to remember to tie the lines more securely so this doesn't happan again.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.