Reefing Cringle??

cstats

May 11, 2020
Catalina 30 Charlotte, VT
On the attached photo of my mainsail, you’ll see what looks like a reefing cringle down low on the luff, but there is no corresponding cringle opposite it on the leach, and no reef points in the middle of the sail to tie it down. The one legitimate reefing cringle and reef points are much further up the luff of the sail, with a corresponding cringle at the same level on the leech. What is this lower cringle for?

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
flatting the leading edge of the sail, taking the belly out, as the wind increases

nothing to do with reefing

cstats

May 11, 2020
Catalina 30 Charlotte, VT
flatting the leading edge of the sail, taking the belly out, as the wind increases

nothing to do with reefing
So kind of a “”pre-reefing,” for when the wind picks up but not quite enough to reef?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You could think if it that way. I have one on my C30 TR/BS and have a 4:1 block and tackle which connects to a dynema line from one side of the mast, up through the cringle with a loop to attach to the moving part of the block. That gives me 8:1 purchase and it is very affective at flattening the sail and drawing the draft forward. You use it in conjunction with the outhaul to pull the corners to flatten the sail.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe White is correct. That the mainsail Cunningham cringle. BTW, the Cunningham function is to control draft POSITION... not flatten the sail.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
as the wind increases the the sail will flex and the wind will push the draft aft. it is more to keep the draft where it is designed to be, so to speak.
in light wind you want a full shape to the sail. in high winds you want a thin shape to the sail. like cargo plane wings vs. fighter jet. as the wind blows more the fabric will billow out more. you will now want to flatten the sail, and flatten more than the light wind shape. you will also move the out haul, out.

it does flatten the sail. it does control where the draft position. both of which distort as the wind increases because our sails are fabric.

so, sail shape is what you want to control. cunningham, out haul can do this.

bending the mast while under sail is another .................................

shaping the jib ....................................

:yikes:

black sails $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$