Reefing, Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Amon

Mast Gates

For less than $2.00, you can build your own mast gate. I went to Lowes and bought one metal rug edge. The angle is thin enough to fit right into the sail slot. To finish, tap out four holes and fasten to the mast. It works great.

D

David Williams

Update

I want to thank everyone for their input. I made a cringe hook from a 1/4 inch stainless steel welding rod and riveted it to my boom. It works great. I reefed my main while under sail last night for the first time. We were practicing; Lynn was at the helm; and a thunderstorm blew in from the South. We eased the main, and I went to the mast on the windward side of the boat. After releasing the downhaul, all I had to do was to lift the boom and hook the main, then pull the down haul to hold the hook in place. Then I pulled and cleated the rear reefing line, while Lynn eased the main. The only problem I had was when I lowered the main to far. It was a bit difficult to raise back up. I think this can be prevented in the future by marking the main halyard where I need to cleat it when reefed. Good Sailing, David

A

Art

Removable Mast Gates?

I assume that folks with mast gates remove them at season's end or whenever the mainsail needs to be serviced. Has anyone gotten creative to avoid stripping out the holes? I'm thinking I would tap out the hole for machine threads and use machine screws. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.