Reduce Sail or Get Smoked

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shep Zedaker

A note to all you H27 (Mark II) owners who try the macho thing in 18+ kts. We got smoked by the fleet of Catalinas, S-2s, OD222s, and even (Heaven forbid) a McGreggor 26 because we refused to believe that we could not carry our full main up-wind in 18 kts. No amount of flattening, twisting off, back-winding... could keep us from dragging our rudder like a barn door up wind. Everyone else kept their mains all up but it took one full lap before the dummy on our tiller (your's truely) put the first reef in and began to accelerate. By that time, it was too late to catch up. A note to the wise...do the wimpy or loose big!

J

Jack Laird

Sail upright

I'm not quite sure where the point is that a reef is needed but the boat must be keep on its feet otherwise it goes sideways. Sure took me a long time to learn this, just slow I guess. I use a reef in the main at something, windspeed, of between 12 and 15 MPH. Dosn't slow the boat down at all, improves pointing and side slip is about the same for other crusing boats.

D

Don Hallden

Same is true for 37.5 and 40.5

My Legend 37.5 did a number on a Legend 40.5 on Saturday. With PHRF, we actually have to give them time (13 seconds per mile if you can believe that). But they went with full Genoa and full main. We went with 110% Genoa and a single reef in the main. On a staggered start, they started a minute or two ahead of us. By the time we got to the weather mark, we were ahead and continued to gain on them for the remaining 7 miles of the race. They were carrying too much sail except for the one downwind leg. I enjoy putting the lee rail under, every once in a while, but not when I'm racing. It is slow. Extra drag and sideslip are the main culprits. Like Shep says, know when to reef for speed.

J

james coats

tune your rig.

If weather helm is an issue you might consider taking some rake out of your mast.Loosen your uppers,lowers and back stay.then tighten your forestay and lower shrouds.Then tighten the other stays (but not so much this time).That should reduce rake and lessen weather helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.