Redo Mac 25 interior cabin roof

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
Good day all, i am looking for ideas on how & what to use to redo the interior roof on my mac 25. i have removed all of the nasty old glued carpet that was on there, probably from day one & it is now an ugly mess. I am thinking of eliminating a lot of prep work for paint & am thinking about putting 2' x4' x1/8" cork panels on the roof using 3M contact spray. I think that the cork would be good insulator & relatively easy to cut & fit since i used to do floor covering for a living. I am open to all suggestions or links on this subject using any material & thanks for taking the time to read this !

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would use something like this to get the old glue off of the ceiling

1597259611790.png

Then I would use exterior grade carpet tile.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I have a mac22 that I'm redoing, someone already started wire brushing the ceiling inside, I did it again with a wire brush angle grinder attachment and got a lot of lose paint or whatever off, I did plan on just painting it a simple bright white, all of the cabin. Then I found a typical boat "ceiling carpet" that is like a very light cotton batting that should be very easy to put up, and cheap too. Something like this should hide a multitude of sins...IMG_20200619_174827198.jpg

Nov 19, 2018
Wow,thanks for the pics.,looks like you got your hands full ! would you send me a pic of it when you're finished ? I am in Puerto Vallarta,mx & am not sure that i'd be able to find the material,what size are the tile squares that you plan on using ? Good luck with your project

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Just did the same thing to our M25 a couple months ago. I did some course sanding to remove the carpet debris, but it came off relatively easily. I think key to painting it is to remove ALL hardware/nuts and bolts etc. a few had to be masked, but whatever you do, don't paint over them :yikes:. also recommend using a semi-gloss or satin paint, as that helps hide irregularities.
IMG_0368.jpg

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for for the reply & the pic, your roof looks about a thousand times better than mine & painting it is probably an easier & less expensive route to take but i was worried about mould forming on the paint because my boat is kept on a mooring in a really humid climate in Mexico & is unattended sometimes for a week or two at a time. I tried one of the rv solar/battery powered vent fans but it only lasted about 2 months & i'm reading bad reviews on them now. Do you think that you'll have mould problems on yours ? Thanks again !

Sep 25, 2019
CATALINA C27 Lk Norman NC
When I did my PY23, bought some stuff from DLT upholstery called hull liner, attached it with the 3m spray contact cement, they have a couple of colors available, polyester woven, mold resistant. Also has some sound deadening qualities.
my 2 cents...

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the info,it sounds interesting & i'll try to find them online ! Did you have to do a lot of sanding & did you remove all of the hardware on the cabin roof & if you did remove stuff did you use butyl-tape to rebed everything ?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thanks for for the reply & the pic, your roof looks about a thousand times better than mine & painting it is probably an easier & less expensive route to take but i was worried about mould forming on the paint because my boat is kept on a mooring in a really humid climate in Mexico & is unattended sometimes for a week or two at a time. I tried one of the rv solar/battery powered vent fans but it only lasted about 2 months & i'm reading bad reviews on them now. Do you think that you'll have mould problems on yours ? Thanks again !
I don't expect to see any mold on my painted roof. certainly not as much of an issue as having a big sponge (carpet) stuck to the roof ;).

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour endless amounts of money.:) In the process of REFURB on Freedom. After 40+ years she needs a facelift. Tossing cheesy carpet headliner, Will paint overhead, reinforcing deck under mast step with stainless backup plate, few hairline cracks in deck. Anyone have suggestion for repainting non-skid? Will send pics if possible. It's 114 degrees in Sin City. Project(s) will wait 'til fall. Lake Mead level is still way down. Park service retrieving folks wearing concrete shoes. "Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes.":huh:

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks,will do ! I feel your pain with the heat,lived in Summerlin for 22 years, didn't own a boat then but i could sit on the dock at the yacht club there at Lake Mead & watch the water evaporate ! I live in Mexico now, 106 degrees but with 97%humidity so it's not "a dry heat" but very similar to crock potting a chicken, Jus' Sayn'. You didn't happen to see Hoffa around there anywhere, did you ?;)

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
I put new hull liner on mine as well. Got it from sailrite, went by their how to video. For the hardware, I had already rebedded and fixed the leaks, so the hull liner went over the bolts, and I did a little cut out on them to get it flat. no Pics right now, but I like the way it came out.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
I had my MacGregor 25 completely restored by a boatyard last year. We are the original owners of a model year 1983 and I have to say that the number one thing that I have always despised about the boat was that ridiculous “headliner” that it had. The boatyard manager worker quite a while to come up with a reasonable alternative to the bacteria attracting headliner. What they came up with is a substantial marine grade, non shiny white paint (specifically used on and in boats). We have teak handrails and solar vents that require the necessity of through bolts, with the addition of chrome acorn nuts attached below deck the finish is quite smart looking and clean. It all compliments the new Captains Navy Sunbrella cushions and the teak accent wood within the cabin. It has the look of the bigger, more sophisticated sailboats in the marina.

Nov 19, 2018
Sounds great,could you post a pic or two & the name of the paint product ?

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
Sure, I’ll look around for some pictures on my phone and send them along. I will do my best to upload them.