Red brass vs. Bronze

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
My supplier has both types of fittings
Someone asked me just what the difference is...anyone know??

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My supplier has both types of fittings
Someone asked me just what the difference is...anyone know??
The difference is chemistry. Red brass has several alloys that may be called red brass. Red brass is commonly used in domestic umbing systems.

Bronze is a generic name for a series of alloys, traditionally said to be copper-tin alloys but in fact there are many bronze chemistries that do not have tin. If you want better information, ask the supplier if they have a certification that the parts are made to.

dj

• Helpful

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Brass of any sort is not acceptable for marine use, IMO. Silicon bronze is the go to metal if you aren't using 316 SS or monel, depending on the application.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Well yes, but- I have brass hinges on all my interior lockers, and never have a problem. I sure wouldn't use it fur something structural, or exterior

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There are a number of brasses that are used in marine applications. The field of copper based alloys is vast and complex....

dj

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If using this for below waterline plumbing applications, & mixing with bronze UL Marine fittings, the alloy you want is typically called 85-5-5-5 or 85-three-five... 85 (cu), 5 (sn), 5 (pb), 5 (zn).

If you stick with Groco bronze fittings you won't have to worry about mixing dissimilar below waterline metals.

Feb 4, 2006
- - Webster, NY
I have a 1997 Catalina 28 that was in brackish water 3 years before I bought it. When I replaced the holding tank vent hose, the red copper elbow at the top of the holding tank snapped off when I twisted the hose to remove it. The gases from the holding tank and the salty flush water had totally destroyed the elbow. Use marine bronze or stainless!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I built a dory many years ago and used silicon bronze for the fasteners. When I wanted to remove them thirty years later I could get them out. And I would have been comfortable re-using them.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Ok... while in fort lauderdale last week asked my supplier about red brass and of course Mainsail is right about his explaination
Was looking for a close 1"nipple because of space issues and you have to buy the one with the hexhead in the middle
Short answer is on any raw water fittings they must be bronze