Recycle sails

Aug 29, 2019
Sandpiper Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Hello everyone,

I am new to sailing and bought a learner, a Sandpiper 565 at very low price. Well, it was cheap because the sailboat leak around the keel area(crashed?). The sailboat is in bits at a dump now but sold the trailer for $1K and it came with 3 sails in very good condition(still crisp). I want to tow the sailboat from Toronto to Florida this winter and learn to sail then motorsail the Trent Severn Waterway next summer. I am looking for another trailer sailboat with pop top, Cat 22, Mac/Venture 21-22 or a Sirius 21-22. Will a 19ft sails/mast work on a 21ft sailboat? I still have the mast, boom and riggings. Thanks, Bill

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
For the most part ,sails are fairly specific to a certain make and model boat. However if there is a will there is a way. I've seen folks make sails out of the cheap blue tarps as a "proof of concept" . The slugs on your sails may or may not fit the slot of the replacement boat . The left over mast will most certainly present challenges in adapting it to another boat. It's entirely possible . How much engineering do you really want to do ?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You should really look for a different boat that is complete with mast, rigging, and sails. There are so many decent old boats around, you should be able to find something in (mostly) sail-able condition. Learn to sail first, then worry about customizations. Moving one rig to a different boat is unnecessary complication and expense considering how many boats are out there.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I'd hang on to them. If the luff dimensions of the jib or the luff and foot dimensions of the main are the same or shorter than the newer boat it's really easy to make the old sails work. I've done it many times. Sail slugs are really easy to change if they don't fit the new mast.

Jan 20, 2021
C&L Sandpiper 565 Crescent Beach
Hi Dim Sum. I have a Sandpiper 565 that could use some new sails. If you still have the 3 sails, I would happily buy them from you and pay the shipping to Nova Scotia