Record run on Fathers’ Day!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A very happy Fathers’ Day for sure! I’m steering Lady Lillie on a 6 hour sleigh ride from the Great Lakes Cruising Club Rally in Leamington to the Seaway Marina on Kellys Island. A steady 15 to 20 knot nor’easter over our port quarter propelled us over 6 knots on average with some sustained stretches over 7 knots with 8.4 knots our max, surfing the front of a wave. This set a new speed record for Lady Lillie, our ‘77 h27.

Joanne, the Admiral, sensibly rode out of the cold rain in the cabin, where she took this picture.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I empathize with your fate David. My avatar was taken by my wife from the companion way. I had been at the helm though a series of squalls. She popped up in the companionway with a camera and said “Smile”. Then she went back inside. About 15 minutes later she may have had a bit of remorse as she provide me with some hot chocolate. I say may because she had texted our daughter the picture and said... “I’m in the cabin this is your Dad’s dream”.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
My wife hides in the cabin when it is nasty also.... unless there is a race on! Her whole life she said that she was not competitive. We both found out how wrong she was once we started racing Papillon!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We both found out how wrong she was once we started racing Papillon!
Truer words have not been uttered... It is 0300. Hayden is snoring in the corner of the cockpit. I am up at the helm fighting the light breeze and the contrary current. When out of the companion way pops the "Galley Wench" (I repeat this with all of the reverence possible, as this is how Hayden refers to his lovely competitive bride) and says "look behind you, there is a ripple of breeze over there". So we guide the boat in the direction of the puffs. We are rewarded. I am now sailing again with a person who can smell a breeze. It was a lovely morning.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My wife likes to sit in the cockpit and read magazines. She will grudgingly hold the tiller while I adjust sails.... however she does NOT like it when I turn on the iron genny.... even if there is almost no wind... she too will look for cat paws and advise I chase those elusive puffs. She is not obsessed with the mechanics of sailing but she does like the peace and quite of sailing.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Truer words have not been uttered... It is 0300. Hayden is snoring in the corner of the cockpit. I am up at the helm fighting the light breeze and the contrary current. When out of the companion way pops the "Galley Wench" (I repeat this with all of the reverence possible, as this is how Hayden refers to his lovely competitive bride) and says "look behind you, there is a ripple of breeze over there". So we guide the boat in the direction of the puffs. We are rewarded. I am now sailing again with a person who can smell a breeze. It was a lovely morning.
When we race double handed, She is the mainsail trimmer and handles all foredeck duties for the spin sets and douses. :yeah: Oh, and she sewed that spinnaker in my avatar, the 135% genoa and all of the canvas on the boat. Yeah, I am a very blessed man!