RECOMMISSIONING THE FRESH WATER SYSTEM--Updated 3-29-2023

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Updated March 29, 2023

Although most people think only in terms of the tank, the plumbing is actually the source of most foul water, because the molds, mildew, fungi and bacteria which cause it thrive in damp dark places, not under water. There are all kinds of products sold that claim to keep onboard water fresh, but all that’s really necessary is an annual or in especially warm climates, semi-annual recommissioning of the entire system—tank and plumbing. The following recommendations conform to section 10.8 in the A-1 192 code covering electrical, plumbing, and heating of recreational vehicles. The solution is approved and recommended by competent health officials. It may be used in a new system a used one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have been contaminated.

Before beginning, turn off hot water heater at the breaker; do not turn it on again until the entire recommissioning is complete. Icemakers should be left running to allow cleaning out of the water feed line; however the first two buckets of ice—the bucket generated during recommissioning and the first or second bucketful afterward--should be discarded…bleach does absolutely nothing to improve the flavor of good Scotch!

1. In a bucket, prepare a solution using 1 quart/liter of household bleach (5-7% sodium hypochlorite) /50 gallons of water tank capacity. Add to tank.

2. Complete filling of tank with fresh water. Open each faucet and drain cock until air has been released and the entire system is filled ..You'll know when the water coming out of any faucet smells strongly of bleach. Do not turn off the pump; it must remain on to keep the system pressurized and the solution in the lines.

3. Allow to stand for at least three hours, but no longer than 24 hours.

4. Drain through every faucet on the boat (and if you haven't done this in a while, it's a good idea to remove any diffusion screens from the faucets, because what's likely to come out will clog them). Fill the tank again with fresh water only, drain again through every faucet on the boat.

5. To remove excess chlorine taste or odor which might remain, prepare a solution of one quart/liter distilled white vinegar to five gallons water and allow this solution to agitate in tank for several days by vessel motion.

6. Drain tank again through every faucet, and flush the lines again by filing the tank 1/4-1/2 full and flushing again with potable water.

People have expressed concern about using this method to recommission aluminum tanks. While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, its effects are cumulative...it's not in the system long enough to do any damage, making the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated city water in the tank for years. And it’s that cumulative effect that makes it a VERY bad idea to add a little bleach to each fill. Not only does it damage the system, but unless you add enough to make your water taste and smell like a laundry, it’s not enough to do any good. Even if it were, any “purifying” properties in chlorine evaporate within 24 hours, leaving behind only the corrosive properties. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to mix the total amount of bleach needed for recommissioning in a few gallons of water before putting it into an empty stainless or aluminum tank.

An annual or semi-annual recommissioning according to the above directions is all that should be necessary to keep your water tasting and smelling as good as anything that comes out of any faucet on land. If you need to improve on that, install a water filter...can even be just a faucet filter on the galley sink Just remember that a filter is not a substitute for cleaning out the system, and that filters require regular inspection and cleaning or replacement.

To keep the water system cleaner longer, USE your fresh water...keep water flowing through system. The molds, fungi, and bacteria only start to grow in hoses that aren't being used. Before filling the tank each time, always let the dock water run for at least 5 minutes first...the same critters that like the lines on your boat LOVE the dock supply line and your hose that sit in the warm sun, and you certainly don't want to transfer water that's been sitting in the dock supply line and your own hose to your boat's system. So let the water run long enough to flush out all the water that's been standing in them so that what goes into your boat is coming straight from the water main, which will be much cooler than the water that's been sitting in the summer heat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks Peggy! If you don't believe it, this is what the prefilter for my freshwater pump looked like when I bought Bella:
20201016_141347_resized.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Satisfied user of Peggie’s process here. We had some smelly water the first summer we had the boat. The next spring and each spring since I’ve followed that process and the water has always smelled fine since. Conveniently purging the bleach also clears any smell of winterization antifreeze, so that step of the process isn’t really any extra work.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Peggy, I have a 50 gallon aluminum fresh water tank and a 25 gallon flexible water tank that I added last year. The flexible tank came with instructions to flush with a vinegar solution. The flexible tank instructions made no mention of bleach. Can I use the bleach shock treatment on the flexible tank?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you Peggie. I always enjoy your Spring Commissioning message.
It is like the Swallows that return ot Capistrano, the sign of spring sailing is near. After a winter of cold and being house bound I know fun is returning. Thank you.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thanks Peggy. What do you think about regular non-chlorine water treatments, such as Star Brite sells.
No water "treatment" should be needed if you recommission the system at least annually. If you do, it's time to manually CLEAN the water tank.

The flexible tank came with instructions to flush with a vinegar solution. The flexible tank instructions made no mention of bleach. Can I use the bleach shock treatment on the flexible tank?
Because the bleach solution (you'd only need barely a pint of bleach already diluted with water in a 24 gal tank) is in the tank for such a short time and can be followed with a vinegar "rinse," it should be safe to use in a flexible tank.

--Peggie

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
When I first bought Papillon a quarter of a century ago, all of the water lines were black with crud. I looked at the process of replacing them but they went into dark places which I could not find a way to enter. I removed the hoses from their connections at each end and used a vacuum to pull a length of construction string through that was 2.5x the length of the hose. I then tied a tampon string to the center of the pull string, soaked it in full strength bleach (5%) and pulled it back and forth through the hose. When the tampon got too gross, I would replace with a new one. After 3-4 tampons they stayed clean, and the hoses were clear again.
After that, the system has been recommissioned as described by Peggy every year and the problem has never returned.

Jul 14, 2022
Catalina 25 Wing 5753 Portland, OR
Very timely, as I'm replacing all of my gunky lines (I think some may have been original from '88) and it'd be great to have a nice clean tank to connect them to. :) I was looking at some of the non-bleach cleaners like Thetford Sanitizer or whatever West Marine peddles as "Water Tank Flush", but bleach for a short while followed by a vinegar rinse make a lot of sense.

went into dark places which I could not find a way to enter
I just have a '25, but I was able to clamp the new hose to the old hose and pull it through unseen spaces once unhooked on both ends. But yeah, on a C25 that's not very far to go, and the access is (mostly) good just ... small.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
It is nearly impossible to get all the chlorine out of your hot water tank by simply running the water at the faucets until the pump runs dry. You should then separately drain the water heater by holding the relief valve open manually while leaving the tank drain valve open until the tank is empty.

• Helpful
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Good advice, thanks. I will amend the directions by adding something like, "Just as you drained the water heater via the petcock to winterize it, use the petcock to drain the bleach solution from it." Whaddaya think?

--Peggie

Thanks

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Good advice, thanks. I will amend the directions by adding something like, "Just as you drained the water heater via the petcock to winterize it, use the petcock to drain the bleach solution from it." Whaddaya think?

--Peggie

Thanks
I find that just letting the tank drain by opening the pressure relief valve is very slow. After I have drained down all of the water and have air coming out of the faucets, I open the tank drain and close the faucets. I let the pump run for a half minute, which builds some pressure in the tank which ejects the water from the drain. When the flow slows down, I run the pump another half minute. This drains it pretty quickly.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I find that just letting the tank drain by opening the pressure relief valve is very slow. After I have drained down all of the water and have air coming out of the faucets, I open the tank drain and close the faucets. I let the pump run for a half minute, which builds some pressure in the tank which ejects the water from the drain. When the flow slows down, I run the pump another half minute. This drains it pretty quickly.
I agree - mine drains very slowly on its own. I think it depends on the tank design. The tank in our previous boat drained relatively quickly.

Our shower head is a quick unscrew fitting from its supply line. I take that off, put the faucet to hot, then hook an air compressor up to the supply line while the pressure relief is open. That blows the water out of the tank relatively quickly.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is nearly impossible to get all the chlorine out of your hot water tank by simply running the water at the faucets until the pump runs dry. You should then separately drain the water heater by holding the relief valve open manually while leaving the tank drain valve open until the tank is empty.
If the HW tank is bypassed when winterizing and left by passed when recommissioning, there should be no chlorine in the tank to worry about. HW tanks heated through an engine heat exchanger will reach 106° F or higher which will effectively sterilize the tank, so there is no need for chlorine to enter the tank.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If the HW tank is bypassed when winterizing and left by passed when recommissioning, there should be no chlorine in the tank to worry about. HW tanks heated through an engine heat exchanger will reach 106° F or higher which will effectively sterilize the tank, so there is no need for chlorine to enter the tank.
That is the way I do it…drain it in the fall, bypass when I run AF through the system.
my tank also drains slowly, I I usually take a blow gun attachment on an air compressor and push it up into the T&P valve with the valve open to push the water out.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That is the way I do it…drain it in the fall, bypass when I run AF through the system.
my tank also drains slowly, I I usually take a blow gun attachment on an air compressor and push it up into the T&P valve with the valve open to push the water out.

Greg
I have a small 12v diaphragm pump that I attach to the drain and pump it as dry as I can. The pump is one home brewers use to move fermenting beer from one vat to another. It keeps water out of the bilge.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a small 12v diaphragm pump that I attach to the drain and pump it as dry as I can. The pump is one home brewers use to move fermenting beer from one vat to another. It keeps water out of the bilge.
I can pull a hose off one of my scupper drain thru hulls, and stick the drain hose on my WH drain out of the boat. Even in the water, the thru-hull is above the water line (but just barely). But like you, keeps water out of the bilge.

Greg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you have space to install one of these parts from Groco...

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.47.10 AM.png

Good for many things

Jim...

PS: Have one on my Lavatory sink and Engine.