Recommended maintenance/checks during haulout?

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Doing my first haulout of my 1993 Hunter Legend 35.5 on Monday for a bottom paint, and wondering what I should check and/or maintain once out of the water.

I already have a PSS maintenance kit
Am replacing zincs
Replacing one worn thru hull

anything else I should be checking/doing while the boat’s out of the water?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Good time to
check all thruhull seacock for smooth operation,
check rudder post for excessive ‘play’,
clean and check all thruhull transducers, speed log,
Strut play,
polish prop,
clean any strainers

wpatch

Apr 8, 2022
Hunter Hunter 36 Baltimore
All the above but I would add.
1) Make sure you have some anti-foul paint in case you find a spot uncovered (Experience)
2) Have Zincs ready to replace
3) I also recommend doing a walk around video

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I always check the prop and shaft to make sure neither are bent. On boats that do not have encapsulated keels, I'll have someone hold a 4x4 (fore & aft) against the keel just below the hull/keel joint and have someone else hold their palm across the joint. I'll hit the 4x4 with a sledge hammer a couple of times. No movement should be detectable on the palm, otherwise there may be problems with the keel bolts.
Be especially attentive to any shroud/stay chain plates that may touch the water, as many boat companies will use 304, not 316 for chain plates.
Make absolutely sure there are no brass fittings that seawater can pass through and no gate valves under the waterline. Change if needed.
After the original pressure washing and a sufficient time for drying, there should be absolutely no water weeping from anywhere under the waterline. If there is, it should become a priority, not left until a later date.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Blisters...
If you have them, they will be evident right after the pressure washing. If you are on the hard any length of time they will disappear. Mark any with a magic marker that you want to address.

If you are doing the work, get the proper PPE gear and a good respirator.
Check out the clean water rules of the yard.
Be ready to open up your wallet.