recommended horsepower for outboard motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barbara Schindler

I am the owner of a 1978 22 ft Catalina. I have been using an electric trolling motor to get in and out of the slip in the Marina that I berth the sailboat. I find that the thrust is not adequate to back the boat out whenever there is any appreciable wind and want to switch to a gasoline motor. Can anyone suggest the proper horsepower? I have been told by some people that not less than 4 or greater than 6 HP is adequate. I know that Yamaha has a 4 and a 6 Hp 4 cycle engine and Honda has a 5 HP. Does anyone have any suggestions?

C

Chip Chalker

4 HP

Barbara, I have an o'Day 272, it displaces slightly over 5,000 Lbs. I have a Yamaha 9.9 hp on it. This is more than adequate, it I were repowering I would look at the 8hp range. I think you will do fine with a 4hp. Lots of smaller boats at my dock are using 4 and 5 hp outboards with great success. You don't say where you are using the boat. If you are in sheltered waters (inland lake), I would go with the smaller outboard and keep the weight and price down. If you are in coastal waters and fighting tides I would opt for the 6. Chip

K

Ken Palmer

HP

I just bought a 5hp Nissan four stroke, I replaced a aging 4.5hp 2 stroke. The 5hp has plenty of torque and uses less fuel so far I'm more than happy with it. Ken

K

Ken

Horse Power

Nissan 4,5 and 6 are the same weight - about 57 ibs.All are adequate to move you at maximum hull speed easily.The 4 has a standard 7" prop (power,not speed) and is the only one of the three with an internal tank.It has the option of adding an external tank for greater range at any time.It's also a few hundred $ less.

D

David Williams

Yahama

I bought a 4 hp Yahama, 4-stroke, and I love it. It will not push my boat to hull speed. Top speed is over 5 knots in windless conditions. If current is an issue, I would get the 6hp. David

A

Alan

4-9 Horses and fuel

I have an older model 9hp Mariner which I bought last year on E-bay for $800. Seems to work just fine for me as the weight is not too large and the engine thrust is more than ample to push my 22' in and out of everywhere and the motor's condition was nearly perfect. I'd seriously consider using an external fuel tank as well as a larger engine on those rare days when you've got little or no wind or very strong winds, storms, etc. Trust me, having enough fuel to return 15 miles back to home port makes a difference if you don't want to get stranded.

Apr 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Marinette, WI
Horsepower

I've been running an old Evinrude 8 HP two-stroke. It's WAY more than I need. I would use the lightest engine that can get you to hull speed. That's the best you can do for situations going against current. The other consideration is whether you have to deal with motoring into high winds and waves. An extra horse or two would help you if this is a common situation. The two-strokes are the best in power-to-weight ratio, but the four-strokes are very clean and quiet. I'm looking to eventually change my motor too. I'd rather not carry the extra weight associated with the higher horse power I don't need. Where I sail, a 4-5 HP engine would be plenty. Good luck.

T

tomD

more than horsepower

Rule of thumb is 2.5 hp per 1,000 lbs on a displacement hull. On a C-22 there is a weight issue when sailing too: lighter is better and that is why those Nissan 4-6 hp motors are so very popular. Also they run well and they have d 3 bladed prop, and a 20 inch leg which pushes well. I get 5.3 knots at 3/4 throttle and have pushed against 25-35 knot winds in whitecaps under power, full open, and still made 2.8 knots progress. Think log leg, 3 blades, lightweight, and 6 hp and you can't go far wrong.

B

Barry Lenoble

Nissan 5 HP 2 stroke

Hello, My 81 came with a 1994 Nissan 5 HP 2 stroke. It has more than enough power to move the boat. It is light (about 45 lbs) and has an internal fuel tank so setting it up consists of putting it in the mount and tightening the bolts. I do carry 2 gallons of fuel / oil premix in a fuel tank so I don't have to worry about running out of fuel. The only thing I don't like about my motor is that it is loud. When the motor is running and I am working the tiller it's hard to hear someone at the front of the boat. Then again I usually only use the motor for about 5 minutes on the way out of the harbor, then 5 minutes to get back in. Barry

E

Ed

9.9 works for me

I have a yamaha 9.9 4 stroke long shaft it works great great on fuel the only draw back is that it is heavy.You have to take the good with the bad

Status
Not open for further replies.