Recommended cleaning procedures for oil contamination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hope nobody needs this but...

Excerpted from Good Old Boat magazine:

"Paint manufacturers Interlux and Awlgrip have the following tips to help clean contaminated boats: Interlux Guidelines for treatment of antifouling contaminated with oil
The surface of an antifouling paint that has become contaminated with oil can become “blocked,” preventing the biocide from being released, which subsequently leads to premature fouling. It will also result in a contaminated layer that will make adhesion of new antifouling applications difficult.
For hard polishing and ablative antifouling paints that have been heavily contaminated, the best method to use when treating the bottom is to use a paint stripper such as Interstrip 299e to remove all the pollution and the paint, then scrub the substrate using Fiberglass Surface Prep YMA601 and a coarse Scotch-Brite pad. Rinse with fresh water. Repeat until the surface is clean (when the water cascades off of the surface with no beading or separating). Allow the surface to dry thoroughly prior to re-painting. The same process is recommended on metal boats; however, to avoid corrosion the metal substrate should be prepared by grinding or blasting after the cleaning process and prior to priming. To aid adhesion, apply InterProtect 2000E primer per label instructions.
Sanding or sandblasting a surface that still has oil on it may drive the oil into the surface and cause a loss of adhesion of the subsequent coats.
If the coating of oil is light, power wash, then use a household detergent with water to scrub off any pollution. Then scrub using Fiberglass Surface Prep YMA601 and a coarse Scotch-Brite pad. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water. Let dry prior to re-painting. Polishing paints, such as Micron Technology, may be re-launched without painting, assuming the film thickness of remaining paint is adequate (2-3 mils dry after scrubbing) and the next application is scheduled within five months.
Awlgrip guidelines: treatment of topcoats contaminated with oil
Contaminated topcoats should be cleaned as soon as practically possible to minimize the damaging effects of the crude. If the surface of a topcoat is contaminated with crude oil, staining and possible degradation of the topcoat may result from the acidic nature of the contaminant. The recommendations below apply to Awlgrip®, Awlcraft® 2000 and Interlux® Perfection topcoats. If there is any doubt of the type of surface in question, always test a small area first.
In the case of heavy contamination, the material may be a thick, sticky, tar-like material due to its exposure to the elements. It is recommended that these surfaces first be cleaned by wiping down with T0016, T0170, or mineral spirits followed by power washing, then cleaned with Awlwash® at a 4 oz/gallon level (or household liquid detergents such as Dawn). The detergent washing step of the cleaning process must be done in manageable areas. Each area should then be thoroughly rinsed with plenty of clean water before moving on to the next. Do not allow detergent solutions to dry on the surface.
Hulls exhibiting “sheen” contamination may be cleaned with the regular concentration levels of Awlwash, though they too may benefit from a prewash wipe down with T0016, T0170, or mineral spirits to loosen the film.
In both cases, it is recommended that the newly cleaned surface be protected from further contamination with an application of Awlcare®.
In all cases
Contaminated wastewater should be collected per local marina guidelines, local authority regulations, and/or Clean Water Act requirements. Collecting the water and the emulsified crude will prevent spreading of contamination. Crude- and solvent-contaminated wipes must also be disposed of in a responsible manner.
For further information, call Interlux Technical Service at 1+800.468.7589 or Awlgrip Technical Service, 1.888.355.3090."

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
BP will pay, damnit?

Well, thanks Don. Way to go and give me a slap of reality. Just bottom painted and launched the Oday 25, sailed it and I love it!. What a difference from the Mac26d. Anyway, the water was so pristine and jin clear that I just get nauseated thinking about gobs of oil. I just can't go there! Do you thing that BP will write us all a check to cover the damage to our vessels and repair? Pat:confused:

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I wonder

I wonder if the oil will be anti-fouling. Also, if the bottom gets gunked up, can we just send the bill for a bottom job to BP. They say will pay all legitimate claims. Could certainly send it to them, but chances of getting it honored would I think be very slim to none.

Sep 25, 2008
Typically, in a scenario like this when boats get oiled, the CG sets up cleaning station(s) at the expense of the responsible party which is the traditional way they prefer to pay as it is somewhat controlled in terms of limiting frivolous claims. Alternatively, insurance coverage may cover any damage and cleaning depending on who the underwriter is.

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Typically, in a scenario like this when boats get oiled, the CG sets up cleaning station(s) at the expense of the responsible party which is the traditional way they prefer to pay as it is somewhat controlled in terms of limiting frivolous claims. Alternatively, insurance coverage may cover any damage and cleaning depending on who the underwriter is.
Unfortunately these cleaning stations are set up for commercial vessels and not recreational vessels, think ships. Most oil contamination is going to occur in marinas and at private docks if the spill reaches that point. Waters will be closed to recreational vessels if the oil reaches your home waters.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The latest is saying that the relief well drilling wont be done till the middle of August at the earliest. Meantime the crude just keeps on coming. The 'drill baby drill' crowd have been deafeningly silent on this one.
BP is doing everything possible including hiring their own police force to keep news media away from the death and destruction that is building up. Millions of small dead animals coated in oil and on public display are not good for their bottom line.

Sep 25, 2008
Unfortunately these cleaning stations are set up for commercial vessels and not recreational vessels, think ships. Most oil contamination is going to occur in marinas and at private docks if the spill reaches that point. Waters will be closed to recreational vessels if the oil reaches your home waters.
My experience working on oil spills for the past three decades is that the CG has established cleaning stations for ALL vessels, not just commercial ones which typically don't have that much of a problem. Obviously it is premature for the Coast Guard to have started this but it will be done for all recreational boaters if/when the need arises.

I'm unfamiliar with the entire Gulf coast but in areas where there is a combination of boats sitting at docks and on moorings, it's usually the moored ones which suffer the worst of it. The containment boom is never completely effective in either case and is really a misnomer - it is really a collection boom only effective in certain conditions for limited periods to facilitate skimming - when used solely as containment in the absence of mechanical collection of oil, it is almost always ineffective.

Status
Not open for further replies.