Recommendations Needed-Bow Roller Mods

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Seems like it should work well. Are you going to add something to protect the gel coat as the chain goes up and over to the anchor well? Something like this maybe?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
After 3 weeks on the water here are some of my observations on the bow roller Anchor mod. 1) as an anchor roller to lower or raise the anchor it is useless as the rope/chain angles are all wrong. It’s easier to drop or hoist the anchor over the side. 2) the way I mounted the bow eye (underneath) interfered with launching the boat. It got caught up on the rubber V block on the trailer. 3) the extended bow eye underneath just doesn’t feel as sturdy laterally as the top mounted bow eye. I fear that it could bend and break if used as a docking point. 4) I did not install the anchor lock on the rub rail to store the anchor. 5) it was nice to have the anchor line attached to a centered point on the boat and be able to use the side mounted cleats as the center cleat is under the curler and hard to get at.

In total, I’m not sure that I will be keeping this mod.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I've been using my roller mounted on center-line using a danforth anchor, which I store inside the anchor locker. The setup is not perfect, but seems to work okay. Sure is better than not having a roller at all. When retrieving the anchor I pull the rode and store in the locker as I go. When the anchor is hanging just below the surface of the water I remove it from the roller and carefully feed the remaining chain and finally the anchor between the roller furler and the bow pulpit. That part is a bit of a pain. But better than before.