Recommendations for holding the bottom line on a series of boat fenders out of the water.

May 29, 2021
MacGregor 26M Georgian Bay
I have a 2000 Mac 26XWhat would you recommend to pull a "series of boat fenders" out of the water when I am underway (upper and lower attachment points on the fenders. lower hole and a 3/8" rope attached to each fender in series and when pulling it will lift the fenders away from the water). Are there guidelines as to drilling into the fiberglass in terms of drill bit size and screw size? I don't want to over-stress the fiberglass, yet I want it to be strong enough to do the job! Would the recommended method attach with a "wood screw", or must they be a nut/bolt/washer method? These would be placed somewhere accessible in the cockpit as far aft possible.
I was thinking of a small cleat or perhaps a cam cleat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
A photo of what you have now and/or diagrams of what you want to do would help the forum visualize what you are trying to accomplish. Try to would avoid drilling new holes in the fiberglass and making use of the existing hardware. That said, a new horn cleat or cam cleat could be useful.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A photo of what you have now and/or diagrams of what you want to do would help the forum visualize what you are trying to accomplish. Try to would avoid drilling new holes in the fiberglass and making use of the existing hardware. That said, a new horn cleat or cam cleat could be useful.
Ditto... I am having a hard time imagining what you are trying to do.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks.....OK you want to take the 3/8" line connected in series to the bottom of each fender and when leaving the dock and tie off at the stern.Very cleaver!! A horn cleat OR clutch works best since you do not want the line to go free from a cam cleat deploying your fenders when sailing it seems to me.

1624394442540.png

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Just tie them to the life lines when you need them. Keep them in a cockpit locker when you don't. Use small fenders, unless you're rafting up with other boats. I tie my boat up so it doesn't touch the dock, so I don't leave them out anyway... if you do it will smudge the sides of your boat. You're making it way too complicated.

May 29, 2021
Just tie them to the life lines when you need them. Keep them in a cockpit locker when you don't. Use small fenders, unless you're rafting up with other boats. I tie my boat up so it doesn't touch the dock, so I don't leave them out anyway... if you do it will smudge the sides of your boat. You're making it way too complicated.
I'm 67 years old. I want to keep my time running around on deck to a minimum. I hate "boat rash" with a passion! I don't mind going over the sides of the boat with a buffer with a fine compound in wax. I am on the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron, and where my dock is located in front of my cottage is not in an absolutely protected area. My MAc 26X will be docked there for the season, and not unusual to have 1.5-meter waves!

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I like the plan but I do not think it should require drilling holes in the fiberglass unless you are installing a cleat on the deck or something like that. If so, the hole should be appropriate to the diameter of the screws and properly sealed.

May 29, 2021
I like the plan but I do not think it should require drilling holes in the fiberglass unless you are installing a cleat on the deck or something like that. If so, the hole should be appropriate to the diameter of the screws and properly sealed.
For clarity, my boat is at a dealer getting a new 40hp merc being put on! There may be something there that I could jury-rig! But the reason for this thread was that I AM reluctant to drill a hole in the boat and place a self-threading screw or "wood screw" to hold it in place!

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I can't stop thinking about your comment that 1.5m (5ft) waves aren't uncommon at the dock that you're keeping the M26 tied to. I'm hoping that's a floating dock.

May 29, 2021
I can't stop thinking about your comment that 1.5m (5ft) waves aren't uncommon at the dock that you're keeping the M26 tied to. I'm hoping that's a floating dock.
Stiff arms, and yes floating. It has been there for 18 years! Absolutely every interface is reinforced with 1/4" galvanized steel! Did you see the picture I posted?
On further reflection.................... Maybe 1 meter by the time they get to me!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
To riff on what Ms. HeadMistress said, here in SoCal if they're hanging off the boat once out of the harbor we call them "Del Rey Burgees.."

(With great apologies to all that sail out of MDR without fenders hanging everywhere - it's a bit-o-humor. I learned to sail in King Harbor....)

• Ha

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yep, it's considered very lubberly to leave your fenders out after departure.

May 29, 2021
Yep, it's considered very lubberly to leave your fenders out after departure.
Hmmmmmm........................many people look at MacGregor sailors with the same disdain you have with people who don't obey such arbitrarily imposed non-functional guidelines. I don't care what snobs think! If I did, I wouldn't be a trailer sailor!

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Hmmmmmm........................many people look at MacGregor sailors with the same disdain you have with people who don't obey such arbitrarily imposed non-functional guidelines. I don't care what snobs think! If I did, I wouldn't be a trailer sailor!
There's practical reasons to not leave your fenders attached while underway. Here's an excerpt from "Boating with Dawsons" which explains it in a more practical, non-snobbish way, and is particularly applicable to your Mac 26 which is much faster under motor than our displacement hulls, and can deliver more of a pounding when on plane:

"The constant beating of the waves loosens poorly tied knots and breaks plastic fender hangars. Everybody has seen the resulting lost fenders floating in the water. Don’t donate your fenders this way and don’t create a revenue stream for the fiberglass repair shop—neither are a good investment. There really isn’t a good reason to leave them down; unless maybe you are just going out for a short trip at idle speed."

The article also explains that what you want to do (e.g. pull your fenders up from the waterline and parallel with the deck) is something that was invented and in vogue in the 30s for relatively slow motor cruisers. So not unheard of. Full link here: Fenders–Up or Down? In or Out? - Boating With Dawsons

In the end skipper, your boat your call.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021
There's practical reasons to not leave your fenders attached while underway. Here's an excerpt from "Boating with Dawsons" which explains it in a more practical, non-snobbish way, and is particularly applicable to your Mac 26 which is much faster under motor than our displacement hulls, and can deliver more of a pounding when on plane:

"The constant beating of the waves loosens poorly tied knots and breaks plastic fender hangars. Everybody has seen the resulting lost fenders floating in the water. Don’t donate your fenders this way and don’t create a revenue stream for the fiberglass repair shop—neither are a good investment. There really isn’t a good reason to leave them down; unless maybe you are just going out for a short trip at idle speed."

The article also explains that what you want to do (e.g. pull your fenders up from the waterline and parallel with the deck) is something that was invented and in vogue in the 30s for relatively slow motor cruisers. So not unheard of. Full link here: Fenders–Up or Down? In or Out? - Boating With Dawsons

In the end skipper, your boat your call.

Feb 21, 2013
Wade Gizzy..........consider fenders attached to the dock to avoid tThat way you never have to pull them onto the deck or stow them. That is what I do with my Hunter 46.............I carry 3 fenders on the deck so they are there ready to deploy when visiting another marina. These are from Plastimo but there are others can be installed, including standard boat fenders turned sideways.

1624543135698.png

May 29, 2021
Wade Gizzy..........consider fenders attached to the dock to avoid tThat way you never have to pull them onto the deck or stow them. That is what I do with my Hunter 46.............I carry 3 fenders on the deck so they are there ready to deploy when visiting another marina. These are from Plastimo but there are others can be installed, including standard boat fenders turned sideways.

View attachment 195558
Thank you. this jostled my thinking. I just may not be traveling from "port to port" with my sailboat. I may not need fenders. What you suggested may be sufficient! I have something like it for my 24' Yamaha 240SX on my existing dock. I may go the route you pictured above. The thing I like about the solution for the 240SX I have currently on my dock, is that the dock attached fenders hit only the rub rail on my bowrider!
The "boat at dock photo" did not yet have the modifications seen on the lower photo.

Attachments