Recommendations for caulk to be used on sea hood

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I would use Dow 795 same as I used on my ports. Are you removing the seahood? Cleaning out the old will be the biggest job.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Hi Don. Thanks. I’ve used the Dow 795 when replacing fixed port windows. No I don’t intend to tackle the sea hood removal at this time. Saw a few posts on this website and it appears to be a major job. If/when companionway slide fails then I will pull up sea hood. Take care, Jerry

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Dow 795 would work but 795 is better for acrylic ports (don't you wish the price was 7.95). For deck stuff Boatlife or butyl tape is perfect, seals well, and easy to rebed years later.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I am resurrecting this old thread of mine. Last year at this time I recaulked around my sea hood and used Boatlife Life Seal, a polyurethane/silicon based sealant in white. Went on well and cured quickly. Fast forward one year and this sealant has turned grey with mildew spots (see pics). Was this not the correct sealant to use around the sea hood? Should I have used a non silicone based product and gone with Boat Life Caulk which is polysulfude based? Cure time on this is much longer. Any other manufacturers sealants/caulks or other products I should have used to avoid this in the future?

All input and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry

Attachments