Recommemded winch size for cal21

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Stu's second link was my thread asking for winch selection help. I just posted my decision process and what I purchased, if it helps.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Unless you are using a large genoa or spinnaker, I wouldn't bother with winches. You really don't need them on a CAL 21, just luff up a bit to adjust the jibsheets. We had our 21 for 38 years and never needed winches. Just an unneeded complication. The winches originally supplied as an option by CAL were not setup for handles, I think they were what is called "snubbing" winches, used more like a ratchet-block to give a little aid in pulling the jibsheet in, as it would make it easier to hold the load. But, as I say.... we never needed them. Just luffing up a bit took enough tesin off the jibsheet to allow easy adjustment.

May 27, 2014
Cal 2-29 San Diego
Personally, I would use a pair of old Barient 10C winches. These were often used as mast winches or optional secondary winches on larger Cal models, but should be substantial enough for your use. a nice used pair should run you $150-250. Falling off and rounding up are not the greatest methods for tightening sheets. What if you are racing?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Well, we never raced.... and so the luffing up slightly worked fine. I use the same technique on my Day Sailer and can't see why it wouldn't work in a race. However, my usual advice when people ask about winches on small boats that really don't need winches is to say, "unless you are racing, or use a large genoa or spinnaker, you really don't need them." I find it comical when I see a small (15-22') sailboat tacking and can hear the "clickity-click" sound of winches cranking in the little working jib...... ah, the deslusions of granduer of we small boat sailors (yes, I suffer from those delusions at times myself, don't get me started about my old 9' trimaran with roller-furling genoa and a spinnaker!!) How many Day Sailers have covers for both sails, and the outboard? No RF jib, YET!

If I recall, the OEM optional winches for the CAL 21 were just "snubbing" winches, in other words, no handles.. they functioned more like a modern "ratchet block" to help hold the tension of the jibsheet while adjusting.

Attachments