Recognition for Chesapeake Bay rescue

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Prior to my MI we were in the outer banks this past June, it was hot, and the water was not terribly cold.
Just off the beach is a sand bar, all the kids wanted to swim out to it, we, the adults said we'd go first to see how far and how hard it was.
I'm guessing the sand bar was maybe 200/250 feet away~
Half way there, I had nothing left and basically had to go on my back and drift down wind/current until I hit shallow water and then walked back, feeling pretty stupid.
Point being, even when you're not fighting the cold, and there is little chance of harm, the water is not a place to be when you are relying on you're own flotation!
PFDs on the boat are not decoration, I now wear mine religiously.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
I've unintentionally done some risky things, mostly when I was brand new to sailing. I really learned a lesson last year after having to go overboard to unsnag crag lines/floats from my prop in the Chesapeake. The water was fairly warm, seas only a foot or so, and I had my ladder deployed and ready. It didn't seem like a big deal, but after a few breath holding dives, the boat pitching a little, bare poles for the ladder steps, and being a bit out of shape I realized I was happy to have a couple hands to assist me back aboard. Those were nearly ideal conditions too! It reminded me of a river rafting trip where we went into the water on purpose. It seemed very benign from the raft, but was quite fear inspiring as you got dunked and tumbled. I was a boy scout too, so I'm all on board with the be prepared mindset. Now I have some work to do-
Lessons learned: Add wooden stair treads to my ladder to decrease (bare) foot pain
Install a breakaway strap, and a pull rope accessible to a swimmer/MOB on that ladder.
Bought a high quality 5:1 lifting block/line for my lifesling (was only $250 online after some searching)
Require all crew to don auto inflate vests dockside. (already doing that)
Do some MOB drills this summer.
Actually register/activate the DSC on my new radio, should I need assistance.
Add a remote mic at the helm station (to keep eyes on a MOB)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I just had a thought, if it hasn't already been done, adding a florescent dye pack to a lifevest. It could create an easy to see spot in the ocean for the returning vessel to pickup the MOB.

- Will (Dragonfly)