Recharging marine air-conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Have any of you successfully recharged your marine A/C with an R22 kit? Mine is a 12K Mermaid and the instruction manual says nothing about recharging except to call a professional. There is a port just like on my cars but it is smaller. Here is one kit that I found with Google: http://coolantexpress.com/refrigera...echarge-kit/?gclid=CLTIlpjg37ECFVR7OgodAwYAAQ . Just like to have some confirmation that someone has brought their cooling back to life with one of these. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Ed while recharging will help it work if it is low on r22...it makes me wonder why it low....if you do recharge..... it should only hold about 10 oz when empty....use a gage set and make sure on the low side (the blue gage) it is about 70lbs and between 200 and 300 on the high side(the red gage) 250 lbs would be good...check it when it is on high output...if you have a leak ...it needs to be repaired in order to keep the new r22 in the unit as it will just leak out again over time...

hope this helps

regards

woody

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
Have any of you successfully recharged your marine A/C with an R22 kit? Mine is a 12K Mermaid and the instruction manual says nothing about recharging except to call a professional. There is a port just like on my cars but it is smaller. Here is one kit that I found with Google: http://coolantexpress.com/refrigera...echarge-kit/?gclid=CLTIlpjg37ECFVR7OgodAwYAAQ . Just like to have some confirmation that someone has brought their cooling back to life with one of these. Thanks.

yes i have recharged my system with r22. It is the similar to recharging the older cars that used r 12. Most of the time a system will loose freon due to a leak so that must be fix.
.I did have one car that leaked so little I just put one can in every summer. Be careful because that link says it is 22a freon (says 36 ounces is equivlant to 60 oz of r22) so be cautions on how much you put in as too much will lock up a system. Also $40 dollars plus $20 dollars extra (haz mat) plus shipping plus regular shipping makes this expensive (at most you will only need one can)..If you can buy R22 localy it is only about $12 a can ( but you will need a state liscence depending on if your state requires it) Alot of auto parts stores still carry it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
IF it is low, Ed, that should do it.. but it won't take much My 12K unit lists 17 ounces as the complete charge..Ya shouldn't have to go more than 45-50.. psi .. Problem is that ya don't have a high side gauge .. if any air got in when the charge was low, the high side pressure will be really high and hot.. If it still marginally cools and the compressor runs OK, ya probably OK with zapping it with some regrigerant..

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks guys. Your comments make me think I should call a pro. The fan runs and the pump is circulating the cooling water. I forgot to check if the reset popped the last time. It used to only kick that off when the pump needed primed and there was no water flow. I wonder if can sense too little water because I don't have a lot coming out. But then I never did.

howard

Oct 6, 2008
Pearson 422 brunswick
I think the first thing you should do is to verify that all the cooling water lines are open, with no obstructions. I did this to mine last week, the water flow doubled and the air coming from the AC dropped over 7 deg. Simple to do and all it cost is a little time. I had barnicles in mine and some mud. Check the sea strainer very close, the discharge side can hide obstructions.

Jun 2, 2004
Thanks Howard. I suspect that could be part of the problem. I did clean the strainer of course. But it used to be when I primed it I could blow through the lines and hear the water gurgle through the hoses. Now when I try that almost nothing. Still I have water coming out the output side.

Status
Not open for further replies.