recently purchased a 26D 1987 found about 200lbs of lead shot.

Apr 25, 2008
Macgregor 25 Cabrillo Marina (San Pedro)Ca
Do I need the extra ballast or is the water ballast enough, just crusin of So, Cal coast mostly.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
The S and the D are practically identical, and specs note 1200 lbs of ballast, which I know in the case of my S is all water.

Since the 200 lbs sits relatively high (not a few feet below the water line like it would on a regular keel boat), I doubt it's going to make a huge difference in how much the boat heels, but it has got to help some.

200 lbs is not going to affect the performance of the boat much, I think, and if you are not tacking a lot, nimbleness coming out of a turn or during a lift is not likely to be a big factor IMO.

This increases the dry weight from 1650 to 1850, which does not seem to me like it's going to affect towing too badly as long as your vehicle has a decent towing capacity to begin with.

If you get blown over, the 200 lbs will help with the self-righting as long as it stays in place. Would it make the difference between staying afloat or sinking if completely swamped? Probably not, but I don't know just what the tolerances are there, and whether the styrofoam floating between the liner and deck has been removed.

If it were me, I would leave it as long as it looks like it will not shift out of place if the boat gets blown over. PITA to remove, and will probably make the boat at least a tad more comfortable. Apparently the PO decided it was worth the effort.

Apr 25, 2008
Macgregor 25 Cabrillo Marina (San Pedro)Ca
Thanks for your input, I am removing the extra weight.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
If it's easy to remove, then that would be my inclination.

The other route you could go would be to do an appropriate analysis of the design change to see if it's actually an improvement and keep it if it is. But you'd have to calculate the cost of that as your time (considerable) plus the ~$400 you won't get from selling the shot on Craigslist. I'm guessing you'd find that it was a better deal to just remove the shot and sell it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Put some water in the tank before you decide to remove the lead to verify the tank is not leaking. If it does have a leak I'd calculate how much lead I'd need to match the water weight