Recent(ish) experience with any Tampa Bay area charterers?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Thinking of doing a several day bareboat charter near Tampa or St Petersburg while visiting friends in St Pete. I did one in about 1993 with Moorings but they left that market. I see a few in the St Pete area. Does anyone have any recent experience with any of these - condition of boats, etc.?

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
I am bumping this thread as we just signed up for one.
Any positive or negative charter experiences in the Tampa area?

any suggestions on can’t miss anchorages?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I chartered out of St. Petersburg several times in the early 1990’s, but most recently in 2002, plus lived there between 1987 & 1999 while owning three boats, two sail and one power. The company I used in 2002 was in the location where Tampa Bay Yacht Charters now is in Bayboro Harbor. Charterers out of St Petersburg would likely head SE to lower Tampa Bay and down the ICW or along the Gulf Coast to Sarasota Bay. But if you charter from Tampa it’s about 20 n.mi. to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge just to enter lower Tampa Bay. If departing St. Petersburg, it’s only ten. It’s about 15 n.mi. from St. Pete to De Soto Point on the Manatee River. A very nice anchorage, plus there is a National Park ashore. This is the suspected spot of Hernando de Soto’s FL landing in 1539. That spot, De Soto Point, is NOT the same as Fort De Soto.

If wishing to continue down the ICW, the “entrance” known to locals as The Bulkhead is maybe two n.mi. beyond the mouth of the Manatee River. Whereas day shapes mark the channel, one needs to also use the range marker to align on nearing the first turn. If you’re out of the channel, you’re aground.:eek:Then there are two drawbridges to pass under heading down to Sarasota Bay. Moore’s anchorage, a nice spot, is a short distance past the second bridge. But the nicest little secluded anchorage is at Otter Key, beyond the Ringling Causeway Bridge and off Big Sarasota Pass (but don’t go out the pass; you’ll overshoot it). That’s about 40 n.mi. from St. Pete and a good turn-around point if a 4-day (3-night) charter. If you get a 6-night charter, or longer, and wish to push each day you might make the 100 n.mi. (one-way) trek to Pine Island Sound. Anchor in front of Useppa Island. But if going that far you might wish to travel outside if favorable weather, past Anna Maria Island then SE along the coast. Enter the Sound at Boca Grande. Our turn-around point in 2002 for the 6-night charter was Venice, about 60 n.mi. distant. For more detailed suggestions, you’d need to identify a destination area or objective, etc.

If you wish to just hang inside Tampa Bay, anchor in Brightwaters (St. Petersburg) for a couple of nights. A shallow passage going in; potential problem if > 5 ft draft, but very pretty and protected. There’s a spoil “island” over near Apollo Beach on the eastern shore and lying more within the Tampa end of the Bay. Popular spot, and easy. The spoil is high enough to go ashore and walk around. There’s more depending on where you wish to be, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Kings Gambit,

thank you for the reply.
we will be leaving out of the St. Pete area.
We do have the cruising guidebook and are reviewing that.
our plan is to spend 2 nights a Egmont key (weather dependent obviously) and a night or 2 up at Gulfport.
Can you recommend somewhere else in case we get “bored” with either place.
Our plan is to focus more on the relaxation than getting miles in.
We both tend to get caught up in trying to fit a lot into a little time and this time want to intentionally slow down.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Kings Gambit,

thank you for the reply.
we will be leaving out of the St. Pete area.
We do have the cruising guidebook and are reviewing that.
our plan is to spend 2 nights a Egmont key (weather dependent obviously) and a night or 2 up at Gulfport.
Can you recommend somewhere else in case we get “bored” with either place.
Our plan is to focus more on the relaxation than getting miles in.
We both tend to get caught up in trying to fit a lot into a little time and this time want to intentionally slow down.
Egmont Key is basically an open roadstead offering good shelter from the west and to a degree northwest and southwest if you're in close; otherwise, it can be uncomfortable there. It is, nevertheless, a scenic place to anchor and to go ashore. We've spent a few nights there but it is not a popular destination of the local sail boaters b/c it can become very uncomfortable with a change of wind direction to the other quadrants, as I said. One thing I learned sailing and living in FL for 11 years. The wind can blow from any direction, at any time, and at just about any normal velocity, w/o much forewarning of a change. Egmont is 15 n.mi. from St. Pete, bearing SW then W.

Two alternative destinations in lower Tampa Bay, one I mentioned above, are De Soto Point and Terra Ceia Bay. They both bear southeasterly from Egmont Key, distant but a few nautical miles. If you don't like the situation at Egmont you can go to one or the other there, but I don't advise trying Terra Ceia after dark unless you have a serious spotlight aboard. Nothing silly. Day marks only once inside the channel and it does curve a bit. The head of the channel does have a lighted ATON. The entrance to De Soto Point anchorage up the Manatee River has some lighted markers as far as the Point.

There would be my first night's stop. There are two nice marinas further up the river, but not far, before the bridge. Regatta Pointe and Bradenton marinas. If you needed something after the first night that's where you might get it. Out at Egmont, you're pretty far from services and there are no "easy" routes to them unless you come to the Manatee River. Anywhere else would likely mean a half-day commitment just to arrive. Also, across the river from De Soto Point is Snead Island. One can anchor there in the shelter of Snead Island if there is strong NE wind. Gulf Port is of course in a much more urban setting. Folks anchor near there in Boca Ciega Bay, but we never did so I can't say much about it.

KG

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Is there enough to do at de soto point to stay there a couple days.
Snead (same question)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Go ashore to the National Park; check what is open at the link. Dingy explore up the Manatee River; visit the marinas. Venture into waterfront areas of Bradenton. Go to dinner outside, etc. Could do that departing by dinghy from behind Snead Isle as well. Fish, grill out--the usual things. But yes, there would likely be more "tourists sights" around the Gulf Port area. Much more active with lots of powerboats zipping around. It could be fun there; probably much more to see and do if that is your interest. If you wish to be near some “haps", might anchor in Vinoy Basin in front of downtown St. Pete, a mile from where you pick up the yacht. Lots of stuff going on there these days, people tell. Not good in an east wind though.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Very long story very very short. Be careful where you charter from. We charted from a good company in St Pete that was located next to a luxury hotel that was part of the facilities included. However said hotel was next to a very poorly designed marina open on one side. When we arrived the wind was howling from that direction and the boat was jumping up and down three to four feet in its slip. We were not able to board and the charter was aborted.
I am leaving out for another time the limo, the limo driver offering us shelter, fours days of provisions, the supplies in and out of the hotel lobby and the poor strangers who had us camped out in their living room for two hours.