Rebuild of high pressure fuel pump for Yanmar 3GM30F

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
I had my high pressure fuel pump checked out as there was a small leak coming from it, and the shop came back with the following:
  • Pitted delivery valves
  • Scored plunger
Likely causes are water in the fuel system at some point in the past.

The cost for a rebuild is $1187 before tax.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does this sound reasonable and right? Is a rebuild likely to improve performance and necessary?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Define small leak. If just a slight weep and the engine runs okay, then let it go for awhile. I have no experience with rebuilding these machines. Take the time to check around and get some more opinions, but if you do, the shop rightly so may charge you a diagnosis fee.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Agreed. The tech told me new pumps are no longer available, but cost over $2k when they were.
Based on what I just turned up on this page, if I'm reading it right, that sounds correct! But just looking at this page, it does appear that you can get one--if you're willing to pay that much.

Feb 16, 2021
Based on what I just turned up on this page, if I'm reading it right, that sounds correct! But just looking at this page, it does appear that you can get one--if you're willing to pay that much.
Thanks for that! Looks in line with what Tri County said. Even with that, I was surprised at the rebuild cost.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The guys at Seattle Injector did my work. Great guys. Stand behind their work. Decent turn around.

Feb 16, 2021
I already pulled the trigger, but called Seattle Injector just to see. They said $450-$550, 3 week turnaround.
Next time, but hope there’s not a next time.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I thought that might be the situation. Which I had gotten the info to you sooner. They were excellent in my situation.

Feb 16, 2021
Update: apparently there is also significant scoring on the nozzle pins of two of the three injectors in addition to the pump issues. I spoke with the shop performing the rebuild (Northland Diesel), and they said there was no water damage as there would have been rust. They said it was just wear. Seems maybe something was lost in translation in the first diagnosis I received stating water damage. Regardless, they told me to add a lubricity additive to the fuel such as Stanadyne or Amzoil. I’ve been using Diesel Kleen, which states it increases lubricity. Northland was unfamiliar with the product though. Anyone have any input on what might help minimize wear on the fuel components? Is Diesel Kleen adequate (I’ve owned the boat for 350 hours, and have added Diesel Kleen at every fill), or should I be adding something to the cocktail?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Update: apparently there is also significant scoring on the nozzle pins of two of the three injectors in addition to the pump issues. I spoke with the shop performing the rebuild (Northland Diesel), and they said there was no water damage as there would have been rust. They said it was just wear. Seems maybe something was lost in translation in the first diagnosis I received stating water damage. Regardless, they told me to add a lubricity additive to the fuel such as Stanadyne or Amzoil. I’ve been using Diesel Kleen, which states it increases lubricity. Northland was unfamiliar with the product though. Anyone have any input on what might help minimize wear on the fuel components? Is Diesel Kleen adequate (I’ve owned the boat for 350 hours, and have added Diesel Kleen at every fill), or should I be adding something to the cocktail?
Stanadyne has a very good reputation, FWIW.