Rebuild Atomic 4 or Repower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerry Hayes

My mechanic has advised me that my Atomic 4 may have seized. How much should it cost me to rebuild the Atomic 4? How much should it cost me to repower with a diesel?

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

A4

Check out The Engine Room, they have short blocks,A4 replacement kits ect. Mike

B

Bob Camarena

Check the Archives

Don't forget to check the forum archives. There are a number of past exchanges concerning re-powering. The route of re-powering with a diesel will most likely be the most expensive by far (I beleive $4k-$6k), but also the most satisfactory and will have the most resale value.

R

Richard

depends upon you type of sailing and budget

If your catalina is old enough to have an A4 then there is 0% chance that you will recoup the cost of a diesel on a resale. Replacement could require (depending upon what equipment you have now) a new fuel tank, new prop shaft, new prop, new exhaust system, wiring, etc. It is not easy and if you can't do the work yourself then expect to spend major $. Crusing world had a great article about what is involved a couple of months ago. They were blatently biased toward diesels. I have a 30 with an A4 and never plan to upgrade to diesel. I will continue to keep mine working. It is a very simple engine that almost anyone can work on. If you pull it you can likely get a back yard mechanic type to rebuild it much cheaper than a marine mechanic. Used parts are easy to come by. Join the atomic 4 list on www.sailnet.com to get answers. Lastly if you plan to motor for many hours at a time, never just run the motor for a few minutes, plan long distance motoring, etc then get a diesel. If you just motor out of the marina and raise the sails then stay with gas. Read this article for clarification ( http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm ). Parts and mechanics can be found here (expensive but very knowledgeable souce) http://www.moyermarine.com/ .

E

Ed Gutierrez

Stay with A4

There is a post on the gear here section of this site for an A4 for sale. It is a simple engine to run and maintain. Check the Moyer marine web site. They are the authorities on this engine. new engine is just too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.