rebedding windows

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 42 Tolchester MD.
I have a 42 passage and have a significant leak on the port side window in the salon .Has any one rebedded any windows on a 42??

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This is among the most discussed topics on boats on this site. Check the archives for an encyclopedia of information. Bedding the windows on a 42 involves the same principles as bedding the windows on a 22. Good luck.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a 42 passage and have a significant leak on the port side window in the salon .Has any one rebedded any windows on a 42??
Ok, I just pulled both windshields out on my 49 and replaced them.
Not a difficult job if you review my prior posts.
Use Sikafkex ; not Dow 795

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I used Sikaflex 295 uv to reseal my deck mounted skylight about ten months ago. Very expensive because you have to buy a primer for the frp surface, separate primer for the acrylic lens, and cleaner.
I cleaned the surfaces thoroughly and applied the primers and sealant as per instructions. Bottom line is that it leaked within 6 months. I have been using Captain Tolley’s sealer as a temporary fix until I can redo the repair. About 3 months ago the white 295uv is starting to mildew and discolor. I will not use it again; too expensive and did not work as expected.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
@artboss, what was the advantage(s) you found of using Sikaflex rather than 795 ?
The sikafkex with the primer is specifically rated for adhesion to plexi.
I found that the 795 was more of a general purpose exterior sealant, and leaked over time when used on a horizontal surface.
I think as well that the expansion / contraction of the windshields makes this worse.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I used Sikaflex 295 uv to reseal my deck mounted skylight about ten months ago. Very expensive because you have to buy a primer for the frp surface, separate primer for the acrylic lens, and cleaner.
I cleaned the surfaces thoroughly and applied the primers and sealant as per instructions. Bottom line is that it leaked within 6 months. I have been using Captain Tolley’s sealer as a temporary fix until I can redo the repair. About 3 months ago the white 295uv is starting to mildew and discolor. I will not use it again; too expensive and did not work as expected.
I’m wondering why you went with white?
The plexi primer is black in colour. Did you not use back to bed down the plexi?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I’m wondering why you went with white?
The plexi primer is black in colour. Did you not use back to bed down the plexi?
Yes, used all recommended cleaners and primers. The black primers did not show thru the opaque white sikaflex 295. I used white because the surrounding deck is white. I know that it is supposed to be a quality product; however it failed for my application. Will try Dow 795 next time.

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Ditto on 795 but,,,,795 is a sealer and not an adhesive!! The bedding area must be cleaned of residue from previous sealers!! Even a light sanding is good. Use 3M VHB tape to set and adhere the window. I created a complete ring around the opening. Press the window in place and backfill with 795. you will be dry forever

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I replaced a large port side cabin window in my last boat, Oday 240. I ordered the window and it came with installation directions. I used the recommended product which was 795. I found it very easy to work with and sealed the window very well.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
actually- cant see my original message to you- i was asking if in your pic 1 - all black - is that all the original sealant for that window and i the next pic is that after you had removed it all? If so - what di you use to remove it all so completely?