Rebedding Stanchions on C-310

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As my C-310 brother gdp955 has said, it's time to start thinking about commissioning.

One item on my list is to rebed the stanchions and other deck hardware. When I look at the replacement stanchion from Catalina Direct (see photo below), it shows threaded rode on the bottom of the stanchion that holds the stanchion against the underside of the toe rail. When I looked for access to the nut and washer, I could not see any way to get a socket or wrench on to the nut. Has anyone tried to rebed the stanchions and how did you access these nuts?

Also, I plan on doing counter sinks during the rebedding. Has anyone done this before on a C-310?

One last questions, how about butyl tape? I have done some research and it seems like a superior product to the caulk typically used. But when I asked my surveyor about it he didn't seem to think it was worth the extra hassle to install. I respect his opinion, he used to design and build boats for Cape Dory. Has anyone tried butyl tape on stanchion bases or chain plates on a C-310?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Information - FWIW

... 1) Has anyone tried to rebed the stanchions and how did you access these nuts? 2) ... doing counter sinks during the rebedding. ... 3) How about butyl tape? ...
1) Not sure, but if you figure it out, please post as it would be good to know.
2. Maine Sail discussed this on this site in "Ask All Sailors" or it may be on "Musings with Maine Sail".
3) Definitely use butyl tape. For rebedding it is the best thing out there and what I believe the factory uses. You can get it just about anywhere, but I understand Maine Sail also has some he sells and swears by that people have liked on this site. :D

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
There are no nuts up on the toe rail the factory embedded aluminum plates that are tapped. USE Tef-Gel on the threads when putting it back together or they may never come out again! That stanchion is for the vent in the head I believe. Mine were all through bolted on the deck but you'll need to remove cabinetry to get at them.

Definitely countersink!

I won't use anything but butyl tape for stanchions. The factory uses polyurethane.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
That's a great link. Rebedding the bow pulpit was going to be one of my projects over layup but I think I will hold off until next winter since I already have a bunch of things to do. I'm going to bookmark that link!

Looks like it might be a huge PITA to access the nuts
I have acccess to a bunch of nuts on my dock that I am going to enlist to access the nuts down below!

Status
Not open for further replies.