Rebedding a hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My forward hatch over the V-berth started leaking last season. A bead of clear silicone sealant along the top edge of the hatch frame where it meets the deck stopped the leak for a while. It started leaking again, so I'm thinking I'll have to rebed the hatch. Has anyone done this project on the 310? I'm especially curious to know what type of sealant to use. Thanks.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Mine leaked just where the hinges are mounted. To them off, re-beaded...OK now.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Same here. Hinges. Used butyl tape. No more leaking. Contact Maine Sail about the tape. It works great, is mess free and easy to manipulate.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks, Guys. I had the same leak you describe a few years ago. I pulled the hinge mounts off and replaced the gaskets, which stopped the leak. Lewmar sent the new gaskets for a total cost of $2.40! This leak is different, though. The water was coming from the edge of the frame, and a bead of silicone around the top edge of the frame initially stopped the leak.
I contacted Lewmar, and they suggested using a marine grade silicone or Lifecaulk to rebed the frame, and I downloaded the instructions for rebedding. Looks like quite a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.