Reasonable price for O'Day 272 ?

Mar 13, 2016
Catalina 22 Onekama, MI
I don't know if I am allowed to ask this question on this forum. If not, my apologies. I have been offered a 1986 O'Day 272 for $10,000. Diesel engine, fresh water only. Owner is a good sailor and very meticulous. I sail a Catalina 22 MKII which I will keep , but would like a bigger boat for getting out into Lake Michigan. What questions should I ask? What to look for? Offer a lower bid? Thanks

Nov 28, 2015
Jeanneau Attalia Toronto
I would shop around first to compare, lots of them for sale for under $10,000.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Agreed! Yacht World may have some listed but since they are under brokerage their prices will be higher. Also check Craigs List in your area. eBay can also be a source.

I believe there is a Blue Book for boats but I cannot remember the site. Hopefully someone here will have a link. There are two sites that list used prices for boats.

Anyway, the price you are willing to pay may very well be the best price for that boat. It really is up to you and how badly you want that particular boat.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
It depends on the condition and whether it is an LE, which it sounds like it is.
Is there an online ad?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Diesel Engine was an option on the non-LE 272, a neighbor of ours had one with Diesel. Price varies with condition, equipment, trailer, area of country and even time of year.
Here is that link: http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/Sailboats
For some reason, they are off by a year and the first model year 272 they list is 1987, even then I couldn't include a Diesel. Anyway, price in my area of New England (w/o Diesel) listed there ranges between $9,600 and $11,500 w/o trailer.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
A diesel engine was one of many options on the non-LE model .....almost everything on the LE was standard. The gray color is one of it's best assets in my opinion....it sets it apart from a ton of other boats......The gray was chosen
by almost all participants of a focus group conducted in Boston Harbor where participants picked the best looking boats that were moored at the time in Boston Harbor...Ours is an LE and it is still a remarkably good looking boat in the water..(I'm biased of course) ..It has been almost trouble free...and is an excellent sailing boat......If I were to list weaknesses I would asy
it is a bit 'tippy' at the dock due to the short chord length of the winged keel..It is not 'tippy' when sailing....even in fairly stout winds....it's galley is good, the head is good, the carpet on the interior is 'iffy' but lots of other boats have it too. We've kept ours very clean and so have not had to fiddle much with the carpet...we've got a good stereo and some great lanterns below which make for a cozy evening....and 4 years ago we installed air-conditioning....which makes sleeping very comfortable. We've up-graded the traveler and mainsheet tackle and we would buy it again if we were in the market for a 27 ft. boat on an
inland lake. I was still sailing when the lake became low due the 2-11 inch draft wing keel....It is not a racing boat....although I did finish 3rd, 4th and 5th a couple times....probably a fluke; .it requires a good, consistent crew.....Patrick

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
If it's condition is excellent, it might be a good deal. Go look at 4-5 other similarly priced boats and you'll have your answer.