Rearming automatic PFD's

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
We bought our PFD's in 2012. Do they need to be periodically rearmed? How often?
Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The "pill" type of automatics should have the pill changed at three year intervals, If I remember correctly..I don't know about the barometric type that inflates from water pressure.. I think they have a "re-certify" date too but I don't know what it is. The pressure cylinders need not be changed unless they get corroded or pitted.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Yep, When I took my safety at sea course part of it was jumping in with your lifejacket. Some folks had expired ones, and some of those didn't work. I guess it sorta depends on your personal risk tolerance.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was thinking about this very question while sitting on the weather rail on a rough leg of a race as waves swept down the deck. It was then that I decided that inflatables are good for general use but if you want a PFD when you need it, a vest with permanent floatation panels is preferable.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well the good thing about inflatables is they have much more buoyancy when deployed and less bulk when not.
For dampish locations like a skiff they suggest the hydrostatic inflator is less likely to false trip compared to the salt pill type.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Each manufacturer will have a recommendation on periodic maintenance of their PFDs. I ignored mine (SOSpenders auto inflate using the dissolving pill) for way too long (about 8 years) and decided to jump in the water to test it. Auto inflated, turned me face up, made me confident it would likely work even if was a little past due... and then I rearmed it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Annie and I wear inflatables full time. Every other winter I discharge them in the basement laundry tub and recharge them. In one instance the red was showing in the little view window but it still worked when I dunked it.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Ours are Stearns automatic and we've had them about 10 years. My wife's is still green in the window but mine is red. Might as well do them both. The West Marine manual pair we have both have a replacement cartridge inside the pocket. These came with the boat and are still in the original package (age?).

All U Get

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I use Crewsaver hammer action jackets . Both the CO2 bottle and the hydro hammer have expire dates printed on them. The most expensive rearm kits are no more than about $50, peanuts when you are putting your life in their hands. I can't believe not rearming is even being discussed.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks for that link Kloudie, was not aware that Mustang had a recall on some of their Hammar inflation triggers. I pull our inflatables out of the boat each winter, bring them home, unpack and manually inflate them, leaving them on my bench for a few days. Older inflatables will develop leaks. Also use this as an opportunity to change out the batteries on the lamp packed inside the vest.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Used to have an original SOSpenders inflatable with the dissolving pill. At some point the pill started to disintegrate very slowly that allowed the point slowly puncture the CO2 cartridge, emptying the cartridge but not inflating the vest. After that experience I checked the inflater regularly.

Currently have Mustang hydrostatic vests. Bought them after a pill type inflatable inflated in the front seat of my truck while driving at 65 mph. Kinda caught my attention. The vest was in a pile of damp foul weather gear, just enough dampness to dissolve the pill.

Mustang recommends rearming every five years and has an expiration date on the inflater. Every 5 years we jump in the lake to test the vest and remind our selves what it feels like when the vest inflates.

Sep 29, 2012
Taswell 43 Center Cockpit currently the eastern Carrib
We didn't think they needed to be checked periodically either.....until we decided to unwrap them, orally inflate them, and then check the cartridges. 3of the 6 we carried had seams that had "unglued" themselves( was less than 18 mo old), 1 indicator was bad, and 2 of the cartridges had significant corrosion on them-may have worked but who knows?? Now we check them ea year, orally inflate and leave for 24 hrs, and if they go soft they are replaced. When you need it to work, I want to know it will work....cheap insurance!

Jul 1, 2014
hunter 27 Philadelphia
dlochner I wondered why one would need to worry about the pill dissolving, since it would cause a discharge. I hadn't thought of what you mentioned, it SLOWLY dissolving, causing a SLOW discharge that would deplete the inflator cartridge without inflating the vest.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
We have older Mustang MD 3017 inflatables and thought also that they were supposed to be re-armed every four or five years, which I've done. Got quite a shock when told by the Mustang service line last year that the pill should be replaced annually. That was confirmed by the Mustang rep at a local boat show. I also inflate them manually every spring to test for air holding.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Do they need to be periodically rearmed? How often?
Good safety post!
My 3 vests are Onyx. I have 2 re-arming kits stored in a hermetically seal storage box, aboard.
I just did some research and found that...
1) The bobbin (salt dissolving disk) should have a date on the side to show when it was manufactured.
2) Most kits said 3 years or 6 years shelf life.
3) Most vests are now designed to resist water spray, accidental inflation.

IMHO we should inspect all PFD on a set frequency.

We didn't think they needed to be checked periodically either.....until we decided to unwrap them, orally inflate them, and then check the cartridges. 3of the 6 we carried had seams that had "unglued" themselves( was less than 18 mo old), 1 indicator was bad, and 2 of the cartridges had significant corrosion on them-may have worked but who knows?? Now we check them ea year, orally inflate and leave for 24 hrs, and if they go soft they are replaced. When you need it to work, I want to know it will work....cheap insurance!
Good job!:clap:

The bobbin should not weather, but the Vest fabric, Cartridge, and the firing pin could.
Safe boating is fun....
Jim...

Jul 10, 2004
Beneteau 38 (2016) Northwest Marine Yacht Club
I have been using inflatables of various types since 1994, when I purchased two belt type and two vests. Over the years I have purchased and retired various models. Currently, I own eight belt packs and two vests. I open them every year to inspect and inflate them every other year for 24 hours. My crew and I race in some tough conditions and we rely on theses.

From many of the posts I am shocked at the lack of focus on safety. Eight+ years without testing? No wonder the Coast Guard was so reluctant to approve them. They said this would happen.

By the way, in one of my annual inspections I discovered a vest (SOSpends) that had expended the cartridge and had not expanded the vest. It blew out the seam of the bladder. Not something to discover when you need it.

Safety first. Inspect the vest!