Rear Motor Mounts YSB8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Watkins 27 Port Charlotte, FL
I was checking the motor mounts on the weekend and found that all four of the bolts that attach the rear mounts to the glassed-in motor support bed just turn and turn. Whatever material was glassed in to attach the mounts into has lost its integrity and the bolts are no longer holding tight.

Does anyone know what is inside the fiberglass mount supports on a 1978 Watkins 27? If it was wood (I really hope not but I fear it might be) does anyone have suggestions for how I can fix it without removing my engine, cutting out the glass, and re-glassing support members? I really, really don't want to do fiberglass work down there. It is dark and tight and there is no ventilation. I have to literally go in head down and head first to get in at all and I'm pretty small and flexible for an old guy. I hate to think how someone that shops at "Big and Tall" would do it. I am hoping that there might be some way to drill it out and epoxy an insert into it or something. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Quite likely wood. I know that isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but...

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Fill holes with epoxy?

I would suggest that you remove the bolts on one side and using a pick see if you can determine if the wood is either wet/rotted or if the bolts are just striupped. If they are just stripped out drill the holes a little bigger and then fill the holes with expoy. You can use a a syringe to pump it in. After the epoxy has cured drill out the holes and reinsert the bolts. The worse case it it dosen't work and you have to replace the stringers that the engine sit on. If it works then do the other side. If the wood is rotted you may have to repace the stringers, but I would try the epoxy anyway.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
My YSM8 did the same thing on my old S 2 28'. That engine creates so much vibration that it could shake your filling loose! I was able to retighten mine, but epoxy injection should work fine. You just need something solid in the bolt holes that the threads of the bolts can catch & secure to. Unless your stringers were constantly submerged in bilge water the don't rot out too easily. Its the vibration & torque of that lil motor that causes the bolts to work themselves loose. They didn't use thread lock etc. back in the day when those engines were installed to prevent the mounting bolts from backing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.